InstCon 2020: A Primer on the South
- Mark as New
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Report Inappropriate Content
01-28-2020 06:18 AM
I can remember a few years ago when instcon was in Keystone how much I appreciated the blog posts of what to expect in the Rockies. Being prepared for altitude sickness and understanding the weather made the trip SO MUCH BETTER for me and our group. This community really is invaluable at times! So, in that spirit, I thought it might benefit to have a primer of sorts on the South for those that have never experienced the... delightful summer weather that graces this part of the country. So, here we go.
- Expect to sweat. Not just because it's hot and you're going to be doing a lot of walking. Expect to sweat from the humidity. I know we have a lot of desert-dwellers that are used to dry heat, where it's just hot. That heat doesn't exist over here, unfortunately. In late July, you can expect the highs to be in the mid-90s region with a humidity of 70%+. That means it's a heat that sticks in you. All that to say, be prepared for a wet heat. Also, it's not much better when the sun goes down.
- Bring a jacket. Now, you may be wondering why I would suggest bringing a jacket if it's that hot. Well, we've adapted to the heat by making sure the insides of buildings are well air-conditioned. So while it'll be a balmy 90+ degrees outside, we'll be hanging out in the lower 70s on the inside. Sometimes that temperature difference can seem jarring, so if you are one who generally gets cold, you will probably want a light jacket for the inside.
- Food. Nashville sits in the heart of BBQ country. While I prefer Memphis, there will be some excellent opportunities to eat great food in the area. I would highly recommend checking out some of the local restaurants, especially the hole-in-the-wall places. Honestly, they're the best.
I have talked with friends native to the Nashville-area asking for their restaurant recommendations. Here are their suggestions, in no particular order:
- Baja Burrito
- The Loveless Cafe
- Soulshine Pizza
- Arnold's Country Kitchen
- Hattie B's
- Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant
- San Antonio Taco Co.
- Five Daughters Bakery
- Rotier's Restaurant
- Boombozz Pizza
- Pharamcy Burger
- Puckett's 5th & Church
I will continue to add to this list as I receive word, and if you are from the area, feel free to add your own!
I'm sure I will think of more things to add as we move closer to July and get ready for instcon2020. So, let's get ready for a great time together!