Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjholt
Community Participant

Turnitin for Discussions?

Jump to solution

Apologies if I missed it here...

I have seen and followed the comments about adding Turnitin integration into Canvas Discussions in other places in the community.  I did not see anything here.  We are certainly advocating for the integration of Turnitin in the Discussions Redesign. 

Thanks

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @bjholt, we are definitely exploring plagiarism checker solutions, including a Turnitin integration. We'll update as we get further along in our discovery. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @bjholt, we are definitely exploring plagiarism checker solutions, including a Turnitin integration. We'll update as we get further along in our discovery. 

View solution in original post

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@bjholt  -  my current approach is to use the browser extension 'Print Friendly & PDF' to export the discussion content to pdf so I can then upload the file to Turnitin. This works well enough for detecting issues after the fact as part of grading, but as all the posts are collected to a single file some of the functionality is lost.

i.e. attribution of content to the poster in the TII database, separate originality reports, students do not have the opportunity to review a draft....   

Then again, Turnitin has /is developing a Draft Coach tool..  This could be useful.   https://www.turnitin.com/products/features/draft-coach 

robberkeleycoll
Community Participant

Please make this a high priority.

DavidSemenyna
Community Member

Plagiarism seems to appear whenever a chance arises.  If we could get discussion boards monitored also, that would be a huge improvement.  Thanks!

Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @DavidSemenyna, could you let me know what you mean by " If we could get discussion boards monitored"?

denanewman
Community Member

Discussions are an important part of our course activity.  It would be tremendous to have an integration with Turnitin that works for discussion posts and replies.  We have been wanting this for so long!  Please make this happen!

@Katrina-Hess  Great question! I think it would be great if discussion board posts could be added to TurnItIn's suite of Plagiarism detection so if someone is copying a previous discussion post that could be identified. I hope that makes sense!

As a faculty member as well as admin for Canvas curriculum, I can honestly say this (adding Discussions to the TurnItIn suite) is a feature that is much needed. Academic Integrity is an integral part of providing students with a safe and authentic learning experience. I really see no downside (besides possibly cost of capital to build) to having this feature added, and the upside is tremendous.

mcordes1
Community Member

The ability to add Turnitin to Discussion replies would assist in managing the online classroom and grading for faculty! This feature would be an excellent addition to Canvas!