Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment

(42)

At our college, faculty would like the ability to attach more than one rubric to an assignment. This is especially the case when importing account level outcomes / rubrics.

Originally posted by Tony Anderson on the old community: Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment : Help Center 

Ideally, it would be great if there was an option to make the second rubric hidden from students. This feature would be quite valuable for us institutionally, when incrementally assessing learning outcomes in our GenEd program over a four-year period.

Sam McCool articulated this nicely on the old community board:

This feature would then enable an instructor to award a grade for an assignment based on a course level rubric aligned with the course outcomes as well as record an evaluation of the performance based on a program outcomes rubric. 

116 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

We sometimes have two or more rubrics for an assignment in a course, and they all need to be seen by both students and the instructor.  I'll vote for this in July!

hunter
Community Novice

This would work when you have instructor outcomes, and department level outcomes.

thayerm
Community Novice

Would this make it possible for there to be a instructor rubric and student rubric with Peer review assignment? Because right now if an instructor wants students to use a rubric in a peer review assignment the instructor has to grade separately because students can change the actual rubric in the assignment versus one that is just for them to make notes on. 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This feature idea is now open for voting.

buellj
Community Contributor

This would be very helpful for program assessments and accreditation. We have a campus-wide group that wanted to use Canvas rubrics but ultimately abandoned the project because of the concern that students would be confused by accreditation-type rubrics.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

In that scenario, John, would you think it useful to have one set of rubrics the students see and another that is viewable/reportable for accreditation purposes, institutional research, etc.

tdousay
Community Novice

I have the scenario where students can choose one of three options for a final project. Each option has a different emphasis and outcome expectation and therefore different criteria for grading. Being able to assign all three rubrics to the assignment would help with grading.

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

This would also be a helpful workaround for peer review (as it now stands), where students would assess work by means of one rubric, and I would award the actual score (for activity completion) by another.

hoovenl
Community Novice

I would use this for the rubric related to the assignment itself, and a rubric for peer review of the assignment.

tpollard
Community Novice

Ditto!  This is needed at our institution, where we are trying to develop an Outcomes model.  Current functionality means that Outcomes data is viewable/visible to the student. We would like a separate option where outcomes data remains invisible to the student.

tpollard
Community Novice

@anthonem  ,

I liked your Canvas feature request to include a second Outcome option for assignments. Did you know it expires today?  I discovered it today and have garnered 4 votes in the last half hour.  I hope we can to 100!

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1988#comment-24642

anthonem
Community Contributor

tpollard​ - I didn't realize this ends today, and it so close to the 100 vote mark. I think I'll post the link to some of the Canvas groups. Thanks for your note!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I voted a while back.  Sometimes even if an idea gets 100 (or more votes), the idea could still be archived.  sadpanda  How does the voting process work for feature ideas?  I've seen other ideas be archived with more votes because Instructure won't be able to implement it within the next six months.  However, this is an idea I'd really like to see implemented, so I'm glad you posted it!

tpollard
Community Novice

Thanks, Chris.

I appreciate the link explaining how the feature idea process works.  I've heard that Canvas is working actively on its Outcomes development, and this feature would enable institutions to assess outcomes in a more seamless way.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey tpollard​,  @anthonem ​, and  @Chris_Hofer ​,

It is true that once an idea garners 100 points, we are committed to responding to it - that is a minimum bar.

It is also true that we (Community, Product) carefully read the comments and submissions as they come in and many times, community input informs conversations and decisions here in Salt Lake.

It is also, also true that we are currently working to revamp our outcomes related features.

mlewis23
Community Champion

This would drastically simplify how Outcomes would function for us.  Instead of having to import outcomes from an account level into a course just to add the outcomes to a rubric, an instructor could be saved a step and just add an account level rubric (with outcomes already added) directly into an assignment as a second rubric.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the feature idea. I would really love to learn more about what problem would be solved by having two rubrics? Can we dig into some conversation around that? I realize that institutions are trying to grade students with one rubric and assessing institution or program outcomes with the other. Are there other problems having two rubrics would solve?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Deactivated user​...

We have had a small number of courses at our Technical College where multiple Scoring Guides (rubrics) are used for a single assessment (assignment).  I can think of times where the assignment has had multiple parts to complete, and the instructor uses separate Scoring Guides to grade each part (and each part may have a separate rating scale).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi Deactivated user, here's one very recent conversation proposing a very complex rubric for assessing writing assignments: Can rubrics average points in a category and add the points for a final score?  While having two (or in this case, multiple) rubrics would help address this school's particular need, it wouldn't entirely solve the grading calculation issue; it would, however, be a start. Providing the ability to create a more complex rubric that contains graded subcategories and grading rules of its own would be ideal, but that's a subject for a separate discussion.

thayerm
Community Novice

It would be nice if it could function as a rubric for students to use in peer reviews and a rubric for faculty to grade with.