cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canvas Studio - Open-ended Questions for video quizzes

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.

Canvas Studio - Open-ended Questions for video quizzes

I enjoy the fact that canvas is making their own video quiz option. However, I have been unable to take advantage of it because there is no open-ended question option. I like to have my students answer one or two open-ended questions during videos to ensure their understanding and to push them to think deeper about the information they are being given. It can also be a great way to check-in on a students thinking during a pre-recorded video lecture to ensure information is getting across correctly. 

By adding this feature we are expanding our students ability to interact with content in a meaningful way.

This type of question is available through other sites such as edpuzzle. I do use it there. But I would prefer to be able to do this through canvas since I already record some of my lectures and tutorials through its studio system. 

(1)
3 Comments
Community Member

I suppose one way around this (for now) is to embed the Studio video in a regular quiz and then use the essay question (or series of essay questions) that quizzes allow for. 

Here is a video on how to use Studio videos in regular quizzes or assignments: Studio 

Not the most effective use of the video though, since you can't assign each question to a specific point in the video.

Community Member

Great idea! Please implement!

Community Member

I am planning on recording many videos (multiple per day) for the duration of remote learning.  Having open ended questions would provide much better feedback on student understanding than the current options.  This is a desperately needed feature for me, thank you!