16. The Wednesday Keynotes

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

You can see the embedded video here: Jared Stein (Adora Svitak's keynote is not available, unfortunately).

After reporting on the five sessions I went to on Wednesday, I wanted to also say something about the Wednesday keynotes. I missed the morning one by Adora Svitak (because of the evil wifi gremlins! argh!), but  @karen_bowden ‌ did a beautiful Wakelet of the tweets from that session based on all the good tweeting: Educators as Nation-Builders

I'm sorry that I missed the talk because I've been a fan of Adora Svitak for a long time, and you can learn lots at her website: AdoraSvitak.com. The inspiring words from her keynote provided a welcome counterpoint to the more corporate keynote from Tuesday night.

Here's a tweet from Daphnee St. Val; click that link for the video in the tweet:

screenshot of Daphnee St. Val tweet

And here's  @heather_hurley ‌'s screenshot of a link of young people to follow for more inspiration; this is a post at Adora's blog:

Young people doing cool things who you should follow 

screenshot of Heather

The themes from Adora's talk resonated with many of the things that  @jared ‌ talked about in his keynote; what was the most powerful to me was the video about Canvas and the Larch Corrections Center:

If you have a few minutes, WATCH THIS VIDEO. It was even more powerful knowing that there were graduates (I think two?) from the program right there in the audience with us. I also found this article about the educational program from Clark College at Larch; this is from back in 2016. I am so impressed by all of this: 

Inmates at Larch Corrections better themselves through educational programs | News | thereflector.co... 

And... 

@mjennings ‌ did a sketchnote of Jared's keynote: so cool!

InstCarn Recap: Day 2 - PM Keynote 

image_jpeg_0BF16BD1-14B8-4063-BCEB-2F65656EA8E6_007B6E7F-A3B8-4555-8C0B-F74389110A41_2732.000000_1920.000000

And these two keynotes both resonated with more to come from Michael Bonner. I'll write about that in a future post, but for now, let me spread the word about  @KristinL ‌'s great work organizing a book club so that we can read Michael Bonner's book together this fall:

M. Bonner - Book Study/PD 

Yay!