4. Inspired by Earl

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I'm working through my #InstCon experience more or less chronologically in these posts, and today I am still on Tuesday: after hanging out with Mathieu in the morning by the registration desk, I then ran into  @kmeeusen  (whom I had met at Project Khaki, yay!), who then introduced me to 925024864, a name I knew from the Community here, but whom I had not met before... and who has a fascinating life story, as I learned over lunch. Earl recommended we go to Extreme Pizza and - yummmm! - I am glad we did. It's on the little lake. Yes, with the panda (as in banner image above).

Extreme Pizza

And that's something definitely different about interacting in person at Instructure and, even better, at leisure before all the frenzy of the scheduled sessions begin: you get a chance to hear about people's lives beyond work. Earl has had quite a life beyond work: he is a sailor! And when he retires (soon!) he has all kinds of sailing and travel adventures planned. When I think about retiring, I think about hunkering down and writing all the books I want to write, while Earl is planning to burst out into the world, visiting all kinds of places. Although he might write a book too... and he should! He has done all kinds of things and been to all kinds of places; you can even get a sense of that just form the blurb in his Community profile. And hey, he even has a hat as you can see:

Earl Sallade

Hats are Good. And Earl told me the story of that hat: it's from some kind of steampunk convention... but I can't remember the exact name. If Earl sees this post, he can remind me. Maybe it's the Seattle Steamposium...? Anyway: VERY COOL HAT.

So, keep an eye out for Earl here at the Community (he has literally decades of LMS experience to share!) ... and if you ever get a chance to hear his life story over lunch, DO IT! I am so glad InstCon gave us a chance to get to meet in person.

Did you get surprised by someone's life story at Instcon...?