New Features, Big Impact: Enhancing Common Workflows in Canvas LMS

SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

In March, we formed a dedicated team to tackle some long-standing user pain points, focusing on those small yet persistent issues that have been sources of irritation. We also focused our time on enhancements that enrich the experience of our educators and learners around communication and collaboration. Since forming this team, we’ve made significant progress, incorporating valuable feedback from our community and making numerous refinements to improve the overall user experience. From enhancing the Inbox and gradebook features to collaborating with partners for a more cohesive experience, our team has been hard at work addressing many of your top requests. Here are some of the key updates and improvements we've made so far.

Message Students Who Improvements

We’ve also made some enhancements to the "Message Students Who" feature in the traditional gradebook. A new option now allows instructors to message users who have submitted an assignment. Additionally, we’ve added a checkbox to the "Have not yet submitted" option to skip students who have been excused from the assignment. Instructors can now also message students directly from the total columns, both the cumulative and assignment group totals, with the ability to contact students based on whether their grade is higher or lower than a specified value.

During our onsite discovery meetings with customers, we demoed these improvements, and the response was incredibly positive. We received valuable feedback, leading to two refinements. First, we’re adding text to clarify that messages in total columns will be based on the scores seen by instructors, not students. Second, we ensured that the count of selected students updates accurately when students are added or removed.

We hope these improvements will make it easier for instructors to send bulk messages and informative feedback to students.     

Screenshot of a "Compose Message" window with options to send a message to students based on submission status, accompanying fields for message subject, and message body, and a "Send" button.Screenshot of a "Compose Message" window with options to send a message to students based on submission status, accompanying fields for message subject, and message body, and a "Send" button.

BigBlueButton

We collaborated with our partner, BigBlueButton, to enhance the user experience by sharing more information seamlessly to better manage conferences. We now pass along the course name/code and the user's pronouns from Canvas. In addition, if the admin has approved, the user avatars will also be passed through. To enable this component, administrators should contact their Customer Success Manager (CSM) to update the plugin settings. Additionally, we updated the conference endpoint to include details about invitees and attendees.

Phonetic Pronunciation on Profiles

We’ve made significant progress on the top-voted "quick win" from our April onsite: allowing users to add the phonetic pronunciation of their name to their profile. We also received feedback that adding an audio file and displaying this information in more places would be beneficial. Our team is doing further discovery into other places this information would show and the best way to implement an audio solution.

This screenshot shows a profile page for a user named "Panda Teacher," featuring sections like name pronunciation, contact, biography, and links.This screenshot shows a profile page for a user named "Panda Teacher," featuring sections like name pronunciation, contact, biography, and links. All Courses sorting

The second most popular request at this same onsite discovery workshop was to make the All Courses list sortable. In response, we made the table sortable by column headers and added a new header for favorites, allowing users to sort based on their favorite courses.

Screenshot of the All Courses page showing a table where the user can sort on the column headers.Screenshot of the All Courses page showing a table where the user can sort on the column headers.

Inbox Improvements

A long-standing request from our users has been to enhance the Inbox with more functionalities akin to a standard email experience. With the increasing regulations emphasizing clear communication and the need for auto responders (out-of-office messages) to notify users when someone is unavailable, we recognized the importance of adding these features.

Our team has developed a new settings area in the Inbox that includes options for Signatures and an Auto Responder. These features will improve communication clarity between users within the Inbox. We are excited to announce that these enhancements will be available in the July 2024 production release.

SamGarza1_0-1716421709248.gif

You can read more about our first onsite discovery session in the blog post, Maximizing Success Through Collaborative Discovery. We’ll soon share details about our second session held. 

A few other updates to highlight: we’ve streamlined the Course Settings page by removing the "More Settings" button, which previously revealed only a few additional options. Additionally, we’ve adjusted the spacing of the "Create Export" button on the content export screen in course settings to reduce the number of misclicks.

Some of these improvements are still in beta or have not yet been released, so be sure to keep an eye on the release and deploy notes for the latest updates.

Have a suggestion for enhancing an everyday task? Let us know in the comments!

16 Comments
Maeve_McCooey
Community Coach
Community Coach

Amazing! These are great changes, especially the out of office auto-replies for the inbox! Thank you for focusing on addressing some of the little pain points that add up to big frustations for teaching and support staff! 👏😍🎊

CynthiaEdwards1
Community Participant

Awesome improvements! When might we see these go into effect?

Thank you for all you do!

MikeMcInerney
Community Member

Thanks for the updates @SamGarza1 . I just have a quick question on the Inbox Auto Responder. I'd imagine the answer is yes, but worth checking, will that automatic reply also be sent to messages that come into the Inbox as Submission Comments?

VictoriaNaverfe
Community Member

Super duper! Just a small request 🙂   is there any way this can be released a little bit earlier. We want to use this feature during summer. All our teacher will leave for summer vacation in the middle of june.

JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach

@SamGarza1 

Thank you for the update on these new and upcoming features!  I'm glad to see these pain points being addressed 😀

The new phonetic pronunciation on profiles is a nice feature and it is good to know you are investigating the possibility of incorporating an audio recording too. 

Adding the ability to sort by column on the All Courses page is useful.  Have any considerations been made to also add search and/or filter options?

The new out of office message feature coming in July is a shocking and welcome surprise announcement!  Like @MikeMcInerney I am also curious if it will send this notification to submission comments too.

SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure
Author

Hi All! Thank you for all your responses and excitement. It's been amazing being able to take the feedback and positive response to this work back to the team. 

@CynthiaEdwards1 Some of these improvements, like the improvements for Message Students Who, have already gone out in a deploy. Please keep an eye on the deploy/release notes going forward as we're trying to get these improvements to users as fast and safely as we can. 

@VictoriaNaverfe Unfortunately there's not a way for us to release this sooner since it's a significant workflow change/new feature. It will be in beta in June though for users to test. 

@MikeMcInerney and @JamesSekcienski  At this time autoresponder (out of office message) doesn't support Submission Comments. But this is the exact feedback we're looking for as we look to prioritize our next set of improvements. Submission Comments aren't automatically included in this work since the messages are originating in a different place. 

I've also made a note to look at adding filtering and sorting to the All Courses page. 

paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

@SamGarza1 looking forward to seeing these amazing improvements deployed.

Our specific painpoint in Courses View is that currently we can only select a single term at a time; we'd love to be able to select multiple terms or a whole year.

My personal preference for default sort order would be newest courses first (now that we are six years in).....

stimme
Community Coach
Community Coach

I am delighted that the "more options" link is no longer hiding some of the best things on the course Settings Details tab. 👏👏

mbmacdonald
Community Participant

@SamGarza1, regarding sorting the All Courses list: kudos, very helpful! Our users would probably love to be able to sort by term. However, sort by term should not sort the terms in alphabetical order - then we would have the following order:

Fall 2022

Fall 2023

Spring 2022

Spring 2023

Spring 2024....

We of course would prefer for them to be sorted in chronological order. Perhaps the "term end date" data could be leveraged, or they could be sorted by Term Id (Canvas term ID or SIS ID) - I think this would work for us because they are consecutive numerical values.

BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

Signature in the inbox? Thank you! Also, I am happy to see the sorting on the All Class lists! Thanks for these improvements! 

laura-harste
Community Participant

Love the phonetic pronunciation.  This might just be the year my colleagues pronounce my name correctly, just as I hit 25 years. 🙂

Signature and Auto-reply in the Inbox are awesome! Can't wait for the release.

Now about having the RCE functionality in the Inbox......

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I am super excited to see the tiny blue letters "more options" removed from the Settings page. I must have written about issue at least 100 times in the Community Forum hoping to attract some attention. Well done!

I will suggest that you don't stop there. Those settings are about:

• Announcements
  • Discussions
  • Groups
  • Grades

Let's move them to where they belong:

• Announcements settings should be moved to Announcements
  • Discussion settings to Discussions
  • Groups to People /Groups
  • Grades to the Gradebook

So, for example, these three settings could be moved to the Gear icon (Gradebook Settings) in the Gradebook:

This would be much more helpful to instructors. Thanks again for your attention.

Susan

vanzandt
Community Champion

A suggestion some other quick(?) wins...

- Our faculty would like to be able to filter by Section in the People tool.  (this is already possible in the mobile app)

- Our faculty would like to be able to sort the People tool by clicking on the column headers.  (like you did for All Courses)

- Allow Canvas Admins to edit the Canvas default grading scheme OR to select a different grading scheme to be the default.

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

@SamGarza1 Regarding pronunciation, will there ever be an option to have an audio recording of the way to pronounce your name? Also, besides just in the Canvas Profile, have it also be in a canvas people page?

mbmacdonald
Community Participant

Same question as @jsowalsk : when I presented this (welcome!) new feature to my colleagues, their first response was that it would probably not be useful unless the pronunciations were easily visible to instructors - they should not have to click on the individual's user profile. People page and gradebook would be great! 

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

Second @mbmacdonald about the gradebook in addition to the people page.