Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on one screen for grading

(24)
I would love to see and grade all written responses (essays) to a quiz question at one time, on one screen.  If I need to grade #12 manually, for example, I would like all the #12 responses grouped together with a way to input grades for each one.  The "grade by question" feature as it is now still makes you go through each student's quiz separately and does not save any time at all...it basically just gives bookmarks to each question.  I am still doing a whole lot of scrolling to the bottom of the page to update scores or past a bunch of questions that have already been graded automatically.
Comments from Instructure

We have several related ideas we're tracking around this request:

Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on ... (this one)

Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes

Improve Grade One Question at a time

New Quizzes: Grade by Question on one page

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

55 Comments
cgiraud
Community Novice

Great idea! Would make grading nicer for sure. I used to use a program called Jupiter grades that allowed this question specific grading. It would also allow me to grade them w/out know who the student was. It was always fun to see if I could identify the student by his or her answer as I went along.

Can you put your suggestion up for a vote?

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for voting! 😉

lpfister
Community Member

It is open for voting now. Smiley Happy

jolaine
Community Novice

Since it is not possible to regrade a question that is being drawn randomly from a question bank, the feature of being able to select a question and view all the students that received that question is essential.  Even better, would be take make questions drawn randomly from question banks regradable.  Other systems do it so I know its possible.

nobanion
Community Novice

I have moved over from Schoology and graded by question quite frequently.  It would be great to have this option when I need it.  It was much faster grading this way.

jheminway
Community Novice

Yes, I have used examsoft and this was a great feature.

It also allowed you to grade one essay topic at a time which gave me time to evaluate the overall quality of the essays in general and grade more fairly overall.

cwendt
Community Champion

At the bottom of this thread/idea, what Christi Wruck said gives me the idea that this is in the works. Is the one I linked to the same one as this,  @Renee_Carney ​, Deactivated user​,  @kona ​, et al? Meaning, with the new Speedgrader, will this already be available?

mricci
Community Participant

This kind of capability is also crucial for viewing Just-in-Time open response questions. You need to be able to scan through all the responses to a question and get a feeling for what the general responses are and where the outliers are. You pretty much can't use the quiz tool to do JiTT if you use open response questions.

racquelnedden
Community Novice

I really hope this feature will be installed!

I have see this feature in other LMS systems, and it is a big time saver for teachers. It also encourages teachers to administer open-ended questions, instead of avoiding them because of the time it takes to grade each one individually.

cwendt
Community Champion

Congratulations and thank you, Lauren, for a successful idea. I hope it gets implemented!

jolaine
Community Novice

My colleague Stephanie Stocks, found a "secret" work-around to help this situation!  As far as I know, Canvas Support doesn't know about it, or at least I've never found anyone who knew about it.

I go into speed grader and I type in a grade for a question and hit enter.  If I click the arrow to go to the next student, it will take me directly to that same question on the next student's test.  If the student didn't get that question, it will just stay at the first question on the test.  This is the only way we've discovered to find which students got a particular question when the questions are randomly drawn.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello, Canvas Family!

We are exploring a series of extensive improvements to the quizzes toolset, which includes this idea and much more. I know we won't be able to deploy this idea in the next six months; however, be assured we've listened and want to implement this in the not-too-distant future.

Kind regards,

Jason

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the exciting news Jason.

Community members can follow the larger project at Modern Quizzing Engine

lpfister
Community Member

Very exciting!  Thank you!

djvill
Community Novice

This should have been a feature from the outset. This makes me question the usefulness of Canvas for grading in large classes.

anns
Community Member

The grading by questions option should allow me to see all of the same question for all of the students. Moodle does an okay job at doing this - you can see all of the essay responses by students for a single question, provide feedback for each student and provide a grade.

james_vlisides
Community Novice

Great idea.  I see a lot of efficiency in this method.

david_white
Community Novice

Yes, I am grading exams right now using the grade-by-question beta, and while it's a step in the right direction, it's a bit cumbersome.  The points field for each question is located at the top rather than the bottom with the comments field, and there is a delay switching from student to student --plus you have to Submit Score each time or else the points get lost. Something akin to what Moodle/Joule uses, with all the responses on one screen (or only some, depending on how many responses you elect to have the system display at a time), would really speed things up.  You could probably keep the option to not display students' names as well. 

erica_daniell
Community Explorer

I only teach in the spring, and last spring this issue was being debated.  I really hoped that by the time spring semester started this year it would be implemented.   Pleeeeeeeese fix this issue.  I hate life every time I have to grade quizzes now, and it has driven me to switch to more multiple choice vs. essay or short answer questions, which I feel is a disservice to my students.  

phyllis_zuri
Community Novice

Are there any updates on this? My district is new to Canvas, but honestly this feature alone makes me question whether or not I can use this program for quizzes. If I can grade a single question with all student answers in one view, I can limit myself to 10 screens (let's say 10 questions total.) As I see it, even with the beta "grade by question," I have to view each student individually.  10 screens versus 130 is a dramatic difference and really makes this a tedious process.