cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leward
Community Contributor

Student comments

Jump to solution

Indiana University enabled the student assignment enhancements prior to the start of the spring term.  Subsequently we started receiving complaints from faculty because their students could no longer add comments to their submissions.  We determined that student comments are not permitted when the associated gradebook item is set to manual posting status.  It is possible for students to post comments by accessing the assignment via the gradebook because the gradebook link delivers the student to the legacy view of the assignment.  Commenting is a critical feature and I can't think a good reason for the grade posting policy to impact the ability of students to post comments.   I posted a feature request in this topic, but thought I should post it here as well to ensure the product team is aware of this limitation. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Assignment-Enhancements-Allow-students-to-add-...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @leward! We have a fix in place for this that is currently available in beta. It will be deployed to production in our next deploy on April 28th.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @leward! We have a fix in place for this that is currently available in beta. It will be deployed to production in our next deploy on April 28th.  

View solution in original post

leward
Community Contributor

That’s wonderful news @jsailor    I actually did submit a ticket and I brought the issue to our CSM.  Instructure support told me to submit a feature request.  

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Well, shoot, @leward! I know that you are well versed in processes, so I'm sorry to hear that you've received different responses from our Instructure team. I can only assume that the support agent was unsure as to if this should have been available or not given that this is new/updated functionality. Either way, I'm glad we agree and that we have the fix coming. Thanks for your partnership and keeping for keeping us informed!