[Accessibility] Rich Content Editor Auto captioning of media recorder within a course

Problem statement:

Media recordings within Canvas don't allow for auto-captioning and are difficult to accomplish at best. I understand purchasing Canvas Studio can resolve some of the issues, but the biggest problem is as an institution we are wanting instructors to give video feedback within the speedgrader. Also required by law to be ADA compliant and auto-captioning a norm for online video creation now these recordings should have the ability to be auto-captioned.

Proposed solution:

It is required by law for colleges to be ADA compliant and when instructors and/or students use the included media recorder in either an assignment or speedgrader there should be the ability for them to be auto captioned natively without any additional steps and include a CC button on the video if someone needs to use it.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,ta,designer,observer

Added to Theme

8 Comments
Sara-Newman
Community Explorer

Thank you David Spiel for this request -- let's all vote this UP! 👍

dhawley
Community Participant

I support this request. 

KevinBowersox-J
Community Novice

I support this request.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

jbhc
Community Member

I support this request also!

RaeJobst-GU
Community Participant

It would be great to see this functionality - and please please please also include this for media recorded as feedback to students in Speedgrader.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

mpierce2
Community Member
Problem statement:

At my organization, we ask students to introduce themselves in a discussion post, and we encourage them to use video via Upload/Record Media to do so. These student-created videos aren't captioned, which creates an accessibility barrier for some of our learners.

Proposed solution:

Functionality to caption student-videos needs to be included in the discussion boards. I am aware that this capability exists via the Rich Content Editor in other places (assignments, etc.) but the Discussions don't use RCE or have another way to caption videos. WCAG 2.1 Success Criteria 1.2.2 requires captions for prerecorded videos. https://www.w3.org/WAI/media/av/captions/#checklist

User role(s):

instructor,student