Change calendar back to showing full descriptions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When opening the calendar until yesterday, I could see all the assignments due on one day. Now, they are condensed in an all crammed together mess of colored boxes, as I usually have at least six assignment on one day, preventing me from visualizing the various individual assignments. It looks like they tried to fit the whole month on one page, but I was fine with the way it was before only seeing a few weeks at a time, but with bigger spaces for the days to accomodate multiple assignments. A setting to change it back or to zoom in and out would be great.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

50 Comments
mwe_sci
Community Explorer

Thanks Kelley and Kona for clarifying the term "accessibility," the importance of which I don't (and didn't) question. I did question whether Canvas engineers have even examined the problem since Canvas reps finally recognized it on November 25th (after Annabelle Webb had spent two days explaining it clearly and with exceeding patience). It's a reasonable question, since Canvas reps keep recommending that we instructors do more to "help expedite the process" so that the issue can ascend to ever higher levels of priority.
     In retrospect, I think poking a little fun was a mild response given that millions of students (according to Instructure's website), including students with disabilities, are stuck with a Canvas Calendar that needs repair. Until Instructure's representatives and their superiors (who are members of our teaching community) act responsibly, I'll forgo some niceties.

mwe_sci
Community Explorer

Any progress, Scott? Spring semester starts in the morning at my university. Yet the bug Canvas engineers caused last year (stopping calendar titles from wrapping) remains. My fall 2015 students had to deal with that impediment to learning for a month. So my first announcement tomorrow morning will explain to my new students that our Canvas Calendar needs fixing, and until it is, they'll need to mouse over each and every calendar entry to ensure they can read the full title. Is it still the case that "we do not yet have a timeline for fixing it"?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Mark,

When we have more information to share, I'll post it here.  For now, as you say, users need to hover their mouse over a calendar entry title to see the full text if it is longer than the single width of the calendar entry.

u0853450
Community Novice

Is this not an issue with every University? This is also happening with us and our students are very frustrated. We keep telling them its "being worked on" however, we still do not have an idea to when this issue is going to be resolved. Is there no way to get a timeline on this? If this is something that is going to continue for another few months, we need to know so we can make changes to our layout in canvas. This is not a small problem for us.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Justen,

I understand that this is not a trivial matter for you and the people you serve at your institution.  My recommendation is that you consider changing your layout now.  I cannot give you a firm timeline but I know it will be more than a few weeks before the team will complete the accessibility project they are working on currently.

Thanks,

Scott

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you to everyone who exercised patience while we worked through fixing this.  Please see yesterday's beta release notes for an update: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6631#jive_content_id_Calendar  

Canvas has now been updated so that institutions can choose whether to have calendar event titles wrap or truncate when they exceed the width of the calendar entry.

Thanks again,

Scott

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @webb031   for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmeeusen ,  @kona , cms_hickss​,  @RobDitto ,  @packer , hallmans,  @mwe_sci , nic_bellenberg, dione.hyland, and  @u0853450  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed