cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdavick
Community Contributor

Allow a single student to avoid requirements/prerequisites of a module?

Jump to solution

We have our modules set with requirements that won't allow the students to move from one to the next without completing certain assignments. Each module is set with the previous module as a prerequisite. One of our students has had an extended absence and we need to allow her to jump in where the rest of the students are and come back later to complete the modules she missed.

Is there a way to make this possible? How can we give her access to modules that have prerequisites she hasn't fulfilled? Can we override the prerequisites for a single student?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

There's kind of a way. 

IF the module completion requirements are all assignment based (submit to..., score at least a...), try this: 

1. Excuse the student from all of the module requirements for the prerequisite modules by typing EX in for the grade for each assignment in the gradebook. 
  2. Delete the EX grade for each assignment. This will make it clear that the student still needs to complete the assignments, and will open quizzes back up for submission. 

I tested this in a course with one of my dummy accounts, and it worked. I was only working with completion requirements in a single module to unlock one other module--no chain of dependencies. But, it may be worth testing to see if it works on a more complex system of modules. 

I'm going to guess that this is probably unintended system behavior, but as long as you're willing to monitor it, you should never hesitate to exploit a bug that adds functionality!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
tross
Community Champion

Modules don't have a way to change for a single student.   If all the other students are in the module, you could remove the prerequisite on that module so the student can start.  As soon as the student starts the module you can set it again and not force the refresh so they can continue.  

kblack
Community Champion

This is the third question in less than a week regarding allowing early access to Modules for specific cases/students.  Earlier ones this week were posted on March 8 and on March 10.  There's clearly a need for something like this, and given that a previous Feature Idea is now in Cold Storage (a private group that I have not tried to join), it may be time to come up with another one.  I could volunteer, but it may be a better opportunity for someone who is actively teaching (I am not at the moment) and has seen some case examples to come up with good wording for this.   @sdavick ‌,  @djenkins2 ‌, or  @trobb ‌--any volunteers?  Smiley Happy  As I mentioned on one of the other threads, between differentiated assignments and Mastery Paths, I would think something like this is "do-able."   But I realize from doing a little (very little) programming myself that saying something is do-able and actually trying to program it are two entirely different things!

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

There's kind of a way. 

IF the module completion requirements are all assignment based (submit to..., score at least a...), try this: 

1. Excuse the student from all of the module requirements for the prerequisite modules by typing EX in for the grade for each assignment in the gradebook. 
  2. Delete the EX grade for each assignment. This will make it clear that the student still needs to complete the assignments, and will open quizzes back up for submission. 

I tested this in a course with one of my dummy accounts, and it worked. I was only working with completion requirements in a single module to unlock one other module--no chain of dependencies. But, it may be worth testing to see if it works on a more complex system of modules. 

I'm going to guess that this is probably unintended system behavior, but as long as you're willing to monitor it, you should never hesitate to exploit a bug that adds functionality!

View solution in original post

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

It's not entirely stable with "view" and "mark as done" items in the mix. And may not be entirely stable with other use behaviors. But it's a tiny possibility. 

Nice elegant solution  @tom_gibbons 

I'm adding this puppy to my toolbox!

KLM

eliams
Community Contributor

Ditto.. @kmeeusen ‌

@tom_gibbons ‌, based on this awesome idea I did a bit of testing and playing around and wrote up the results here - Bypassing Requirements/Prerequisitse. Overall this is a most excellent work around!!

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

Awesome! Thanks for doing more testing,  @kona ! I'll be interested to see if you found more stability around View and Mark as Done requirements, or if you tested longer chains of modules depending on each other. They were things I didn't really have time to dig into when I was first poking at this. 

Collaboration is the bees knees!

With the view and mark done it had to be done (by the student) either before the Instructor did the EX and cleared it out or between when the Instructor did the EX and cleared it out. If the Instructor cleared it out before they had met the non-graded requirements then the next module wouldn't open.

Otherwise, yes, it works on longer chains of modules as well! You just have to watch if you have non-graded required content and if content needs to be done in order (that's a crazy wildcard that still works, but takes a little more finessing with the order of doing things).