Assign to a group (NOT group assignment)

Jump to solution
achin6
Community Member

I'd like to assign an Assignment to all member of a Canvas Group.  This is not a group assignment; I want each student to do it individually, however I only want certain students in my class to do it.  I thought I'd be able to do this by selecting a Group when I got to ``Assign to," but I apparently cannot; the groups just don't show up anywhere.

Is there really no way for me to assign an Assignment to members of a Group?  Do I always have to add students one-at-a-time?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi again @achin6 ,

So I did some experiments, and this method is not ideal because the students can see each others' submissions, which could be a FERPA or other violation.

In my opinion, Sections are for term-long groups and not for groups formed per assignment. And as you mentioned, some users do not even have the option to add Sections. 

Note to Canvas: We need to be able to assign to Groups that we have formed. Those Groups should appear in the Assign to section for all Assignments, not just those that are designated as Group Assignments. This option is an important tool for differentiation and other needs.

View solution in original post

TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi @achin6 ,

I just added this idea to the Ideas & Themes, but I wouldn't expect movement on it anytime soon. We'll see.

View solution in original post