Blueprint and associated course for a shorter term

GRE6
Community Explorer

Hi. Sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Like many schools, we have 15-week semesters and then shorter terms during the summer (five weeks in my case). I'm thinking that creating a blueprint (i.e., master) and associated course for the summer is the way to go in this scenario, but I'm not sure.

(1) For the summer, I will need different modules and due dates, but otherwise the content will be the same as every other semester. Changing all of this for the summer term and then having to change it back (especially the reorganized modules) for the fall semester is what I want to avoid.

(2) I will make changes to the content during the summer term, and that content will need to be included in the fall course. (So, importing last spring's course in the fall won't work---at least not without duplicating any changes that I make during the summer.) Making changes to the blueprint during the summer and then importing the blueprint in the fall seems preferable.

(3) This is in the instructions posted here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-sync-course-content-in-a-blueprint-cour...

"If modules or module items are rearranged in an associated course, the module order will be updated to match the blueprint course structure in the next sync. If a module item in an associated course is moved to another module, the module item will exist in both modules."

If I'm reading this correctly and it hasn't changed, then creating new modules for the summer term (in the associated course) won't work?

Thanks.

0 Likes