Can I get my groups back???

Jump to solution
AaronB_2029
Community Member

I have a ton of courses with groups.  There was an issue with a student enrollment import, which set most student's status to "deleted".  Another import was run that reset the statuses to "active".  Almost all students who had been assigned to a group in of the courses were kicked out of the perspective group(s).

When the students were made "active" again, everything else was restored, but not the groups.  Is the only way to get them back in their appropriate groups through manual assignment?  I have one instructor attempting to re-assign students to their group and they are getting a warning that the previous work will be lost.

Has anyone else had this happen?  If so, how did you overcome this issue?  Does anyone know a fix/work around to get things back in order?

Thanks in advance.

AB

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @AaronB_2029 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with your student groups. Thank you for  explaining the situation - it is possible to bring them back but it all depends on your timeline. If this happened recently, then beta instance of Canvas should show the groups that existed last week and you can speak with an admin about doing an export/import although that may require removing the students again here first to  bring the students with their groups and original enrollments and/or group assignments. 

If the school completed deleted these users, and re-added them using a csv or SIS sync and it  has been a while.. you will likely need to recreate them manually. The groups are tied to the people tab/enrollments specifically and once deleted and re-added canvas doesn't have a way to retroactively generate groups based on previous  enrollments. Good luck and hopefully this helps! 

View solution in original post