cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kim4643

Cannot Rearrange my courses in the Dashboard

Jump to solution

Hi, I am unable to rearrange my Canvas courses in the Dashboard. I was still able to do this just 2 months ago, but now it won’t work. Tried Google Chrome, Firefox and Opera browser on my laptop but still cannot rearrange the courses. Any help will be appreciated 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

@Chris_Hofer -

I just checked my dummy student account, and they have fixed the issue.  The dashboard cards can now be rearranged.

Hopefully that glitch will not occur again.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @kim4643 ...

I thought I'd check in with you.  Are you still having difficulties moving your course cards around?  I think there were some issues with this earlier this year (end of Summer), but this may have been resolved now.  If you're still not able to move course cards around on your Dashboard, you might want to report this to the Canvas Help Desk staff.

How do I contact Canvas Support? - Instructure Community

@Chris_Hofer -

I just checked my dummy student account, and they have fixed the issue.  The dashboard cards can now be rearranged.

Hopefully that glitch will not occur again.

That's great to hear, @Ron_Bowman!  Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos

Yup, problem was fixed thanks to a new update! Thank you so much

Well I'm experiencing it now, so definitely not solved. And we're getting close to the end of the term. I put an Exam in the wrong place and I NEED to move it so students can progress, but every time I try, the order just goes back to the way it was. I even tried taking the Exam out of the sequence, but when I look again, it's back in the wrong place.

Please fix this! This is urgent!!!

0 Kudos
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@lglen -

I am not sure if you posted your question in the right forum question.  The thread you replied to deals with moving the order of the courses displayed on the dashboard. 

It sounds like you are having an issue with an exam assignment in a particular course.  I am not interpreting what you wrote as an issue with rearranging the courses on the dashboard.

Is there any other information you can supply to clarify what your problem is?  

Ron

lglen2
Community Participant

Oops! Indeed, my course tiles rearrange just fine.

All I can say is that in that course, when I rearrange the items in a module so that they are in a different order, the new order doesn't "stick". I've tried just reordering and I've tried removing the item I want to change and re-adding it at the end (which is, conveniently, where I want it), but neither of those approaches works. Ultimately I had to remove it as a requirement so that students could move beyond where it was keeping them back. I'm just glad I was able to do that, since changes didn't seem to be sticking; I was worried that wasn't going to work either.

0 Kudos

@iglen -

Thanks for the update.  Based on both of your posts I am thinking that you are trying to use a module with requirements that have to be finished in a specific order and then use that information to open the next module.  

There is no reason why you cannot rearrange items in a module by dragging and dropping.  Keep in mind that if you put restrictions on a module that the students have to complete the items in the order specified, that you should make that order the same in the module as the requirement list.  Even if you don't do that, the order of the module items should stay in the order you arrange them.

If you could supply even more information about exactly what you are trying to do and what is happening, we may be able to help more.

Ron

lglen2
Community Participant

Not quite. I can reorder the items in a Module, but that's not what I need. The items are in the right order there, but not in the "Edit" area; there I had inadvertently put an Exam before the last few assignments required for the Exam. This is what I wanted to change the order of, but when I do, it just reverts.

0 Kudos

@lglen2 -

I have it now, and I am seeing the same thing.  Originally I had all items as view, so I was wondering if that was why.  I added in an assignment for submitting and made it first, but the order did revert back to the original.

There has to be something with the setup that is causing it to revert back.  I'll see if I can figure something out when I get a chance.
Edit:  I re-read my earlier post and I mentiioned the order of the assignments in the module.  if you are going to put requirements on the order for the assignments to be worked, then the order of the assignments has to be the  same in the actual module.

That is if I want the requirement to be viewing assignment3, asssignment2 and assignment1 in that order, then the order of the assignments in the module must be in the same order:

Module title
   assignment3
   assignment2
   assignment1

Ron

lglen2
Community Participant

Is that what's causing them to revert though?

0 Kudos

@lglen2 -

yes.  it was for me.  The restrictions show up everytime in the order the assignments are in the module (this occurs when you select the students must complete the items in the order shown).  Evidently You can set the restrictions you want on each assignment, but if the students have to complete them in order, the order is specified by the order of the items in the module.  it probably makes sense from instructures side for the programming involved with how to accomplish that task.  difference between getting a computer program to do something correctly versus what a human brain can see and do trivially.

Here is the instructor guide page for adding requirements to a module

IN the blue area at the top is the following information which is what I just described above:

"You can choose to allow students to complete requirements in any order, or you can require them to move through the module sequentially. A requirement to move through module items sequentially relates to the order items are listed on the Modules page, not the order displayed in Module Settings."

Am i correct in assuming that this solves your issue?

Ron

lglen2
Community Participant

Probably, but I've just removed the mandate to do that assignment (i.e. I removed it from the "order"). I had to let students get access to it, and that was the only way I could think of at the time, since nothing else was working.

I don't have time just now to experiment, so I'll just have to check my order more carefully before running another section.