Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katieb1
Community Member

Comments Disabled on Announcements, Students Replying Via Email

Jump to solution

Hi, 

So I have comments disabled on announcements, but students can still reply to the email notification and posts (often sensitive information) for all to see. Is there any way to shut this off completely? 

(Also, I wish the announcement emails were more clearly labeled as such. I was just looking at what my student would see, and other than a small "view announcement" in the bottom, there's nothing in the email that even HINTS to students that a response will be shared with everyone). 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone - This was likely related to  Students can reply to Notifications and post to closed Announcements/Discussions. I hope that this update is helpful!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chadscott
Community Contributor

Howdy,

If you are using the "announcements" tool, the notification comes from a notification email. Students should not be able to reply to these notifications.
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Replying-to-Announcement-email/m-p/401553#M...

If you are using the INBOX to send a class message, make sure you check the "send an individual message to each recipient" so when they reply, it doesn't go to everyone.
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-send-a-message-to-all-course-users-in-t...

Cheers,
Chad Scott

0 Kudos
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Announcements has been glitchy. I have experienced the same issue as have others. There have been other posts about this in the past month.

You've done everything right on your end. Canvas needs to fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
jboehly
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. In order for Canvas to look into this further, you will need to contact support and open a case.

0 Kudos
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone - This was likely related to  Students can reply to Notifications and post to closed Announcements/Discussions. I hope that this update is helpful!

0 Kudos