Filtering a question bank by question type

Jump to solution
PatWilliams
Community Member

Can the questions in a question bank be filtered by question type? I'm looking at a question bank that was imported from Blackboard, and I can't see a way to do this. In fact I can't find a way to determine what an item's question type is without simply opening the question and looking at its form.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Since you mention question bank and not item bank, @PatWilliams, I bet you are using Classic Quizzes and not New Quizzes. I did a quick check and discovered that New Quizzes can filter by question type in item banks (screen shot included in the View Search Filters section of the Canvas Guides document on how to manage item banks). Classic Quizzes does not have that option, so the fact that New Quizzes does is likely cold comfort.

If you decide to migrate your Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes so you can take advantage of the item bank filtering (there are other reasons to switch!), I can share the process I used to convert my question banks into item banks. Please reply and I'll share those steps.

EDIT: If you decide to go the New Quizzes route, I found a post here in the Instructure Community that has information on how to do this: 

New Quiz Migration Options

View solution in original post