cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssweeney818
Community Member

How do I remove previous courses from my dashboard?

Jump to solution

There are still a lot of courses from last semester on my dashboard. I am no longer in these classes, and they are distracting and clutter up the dashboard. How do I remove these courses from my dashboard?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ssweeney818 ‌

You manage what courses display on your Dashboard, by managing your Courses list. Courses that display in your drop-down courses list, also display on your dashboard. When you remove a course from the drop-down, Canvas no longer displays it on the Dashboard.

Learn how at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10570-4212710327  While this How-To is for students, the process works the same for all users.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ssweeney818 ‌

You manage what courses display on your Dashboard, by managing your Courses list. Courses that display in your drop-down courses list, also display on your dashboard. When you remove a course from the drop-down, Canvas no longer displays it on the Dashboard.

Learn how at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10570-4212710327  While this How-To is for students, the process works the same for all users.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

don_bryn
Community Champion

Also, as your "All Courses" list gets longer, you can sort that list by a sort-of hack.  Open the "all courses" page and add all your courses to your dashboard by clickingthe star beside each title. Then go back to the dashboard and click the menu on each course and give it a name.  Then go back to "All Courses" and deselect each star.    They will no longer appear in your dashboard but will be sorted in your "all courses" list by the title you gave them.  

I add an asterisk(*) to the beginning of the names for sandbox courses, and "Z_" to the beginning of concluded courses.  So in my list, all sandboxes come first, then current courses, then completed courses.   Of course our college admins have the list set to organize by semester, but some courses don't seem to fall in any particular semester, or perhaps it was a training course so my role is a student (for some reason, those courses never seen to end, they just hang there forever). 

Until there is a better way to organize and file courses, this seems to be the most efficient way to organize your course list.

As a side-note, courses will still appear in other lists by the original name, so it's not consistent across Canvas.   For example if you want to import from a course into another course, you have to scroll around and guess which course you need--usually best to keep the all courses list open so you can cross-reference and find the course you need.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @ssweeney818 ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on November 14, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from both  @kmeeusen  and  @don_bryn ?  Did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance from members of the Community?

(As a side note, the process that Don refers to in his response is about "nicknames", and you can find information about that in one of these Guides: How do I view course cards in the Dashboard as an instructor? and How do I view course cards in the Dashboard as a student?)

If you feel that Kelley's or Don's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark one of their responses as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance with this question, please let us know by coming back to this topic to post a message below.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for well over four months.  I hope that's okay with you, Sarah.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

JohnOwens
Community Member

followed the steps and my dashboard is still cluttered with old classes.  is anyone else having this issue after following the (click) "dashboard", (click) "all courses", (click) "stars" to remove classes procedures? 

JohnOwens
Community Member

i found this:

"When no courses are favorited, the courses list automatically displays up to 20 courses alphabetically in the drop-down menu. However, once you have selected at least one course as a favorite, only your favorite courses will appear in the Courses list."

and since none of my semester's active classes have been published yet (so i'm unable to star any), this may be why i'm still seeing old classes that i've "un-favorited." 

ralph_c_hoehn
Community Member

My predecessor kindly copied and set up their courses for me to take over. That set-up never gave me the opportunity to "favorite" the courses, which are now stuck in my Dashboard, and I have yet to discover a way even to begin implementing the star-clicking and unclicking instructions. Has anyone seen this before?