Is there a way to edit the options students view in the home page?

Jump to solution
elprofejimenez
Community Novice

When students log on to my course, they see various options on the left side. Syllabus, Modules, Pages etc. I don't want most of those. Instead I want to create a whole new option or at least be able to rename the sections. So instead of people having to click on Modules or Pages or whatever, they could instead see Papers, Video resources, Witness Testimonies, Primary documents etc. on the left side. Is that possible? And if so, how can I do it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @elprofejimenez,

You can show or hide the various items on the left-hand menu, as shown in the  How do I manage Course Navigation links? - Instructure Community - 1020  guide.  You can't really change the names of existing menu items though.

One "hack" for this is to use the external app "redirect tool" to add a menu item with a custom name, but as a Canvas admin, I generally don't recommend doing that as those menu items would break when doing a course import in the future and oftentimes confuse students more than help them, especially when they are in multiple courses and expect similar menus and functionality in the courses.  This is, of course, my own opinion, so you're free to experiment with this on your own.

Hope this info helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post