Not Visible to Students

Jump to solution
AVee
Community Member

I cannot seem to remove the "not visible to students" icon and allow the content to be shown to students. This is my first course with Canvas. It has disabled announcements, pages, discussions, etc.. and when I hover over the icon it says, "Disabled, not visible to students." How do I enable this?

Thank you!!!

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @AVee ...

You have to have content on those particular areas of your Canvas course, and the content has to be "published" in order for those crossed-out eye icons to disappear ... assuming that you have set those course navigation buttons to be enabled in your course.

How do I manage Course Navigation links? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

Hi @AVee 

One of the most effective ways to organize content in Canvas is to create Modules. For example, you might have weekly Modules or unit-based Modules. Each Module may contain several items including Pages, Quizzes, Discussions, and Assignments.

When you publish your Module (as well as the items inside it), those items will become visible to your students.

Many instructors have a few items "enabled" in their Course Navigation Bar such as Home, :Syllabus, Modules, and Grades. However, they keep Pages, Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes "disabled."

The reason for doing this is to direct your student to your Modules where you'll have everything laid out in order. If you have, for example, Pages, Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes all showing up in your Course Navigation Bar, the students can easily get lost. For example, if they click on Assignments, they may see a long list of Assignments, but have no idea where to start. Also, they will miss seeing your Pages. 

Modules are your "best friend" in course design.

View solution in original post

0 Likes