Require password for students to review quiz results (Classic Quizzes)

Jump to solution
seharpe
Community Member

I'm trying to facilitate exam reviews for students in my class. I'm using Classic Quizzes for my exams. To take the exam, a password and LockDown Browser is required. I realize that there is apparently a glitch and LDB doesn't work with letting students review their answers and feedback that I provide for each answer item in the Canvas Quiz. To preserve exam integrity, I want to require a password for students to go into their review. (If you are wondering why, my institution has some recommended practices with respect to exam reviews that includes password-protecting review of exams delivered electronically.)

The quiz is set to let students see their answers. I have checked the option to let students see the correct answers with a start and end date/time. The quiz itself has a password required. The trouble is that students can access their quiz results without ever being prompted for a password by Canvas. 

As a workaround, I've been using the date/time limits to limit how long students can see the results/feedback (e.g., the time is only for the post-exam review sessions).

My question is whether there is a way to require students to enter a password to get back in to see their quiz results or if this is the intended behavior (since students had to enter a password to take the quiz initially).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @seharpe ...

To my knowledge, the password option on quizzes is for when a student initially begins the quiz...not for when students need to review their questions.  This is covered in the Guide What options can I set in a quiz? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) under the section "Set Quiz Restrictions".

I see that you are a New Member here in the Community.  Normally I would suggest that you could create a new Feature Idea here in the Community with the request to password protect the ability to view results of a quiz.  But, since you are a New Member, you need to participate more in the Community to "rank up" before you can start submitting Feature Ideas.  This is covered in:

Welcome New Members

The Guides for Feature Ideas are here:

Also, I'll just mention that there is very little work being done on current Classic Quizzes any more by Instructure.  They are now focusing their time on New Quizzes which will be the standard that everyone will eventually be using.  So, any requests that you would make for enhancements would have to be for New Quizzes and not Classic Quizzes.

I hope this will help a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post