cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tellison
Community Contributor

Student Discussion Posts not Showing in Speedgrader

Jump to solution

I have a professor that has assigned a graded discussion, however when trying to grade it through Speedgrader the post and replies do not appear.  The only thing that appears on the Speedgrader screen is:

302828_Capture.PNG

He can select "view the full discussion" and sort by student entries.

Is there an issue with Speedgrader or a setting that he has selected?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
tellison
Community Contributor

This makes sense. He actually created a group set in the class but did not

place anyone in there since he didn't know how it worked. He has since

taken the group set out.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

tdanner
Community Participant

The workaround below resolved our issue:

1. In the Settings of the Discussion, uncheck the Graded option.
  2. Save the change.
  3. Go back into the Settings and check the Graded option.
  4. Save the change.

15 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi tellison‌ - Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, SpeedGrader is working exactly as designed for a graded discussion.  SpeedGrader will not show the original post or prompt by the instructor.  It will only show that specific student's replies to the discussion prompt.  To view the context, then indeed the link that you reference at the top must be clicked upon.  This is all shown in this online guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13307-4152801031  In fact, the screen capture under View Submissions shows the very same text that you have in your question.  If there is nothing on that screen, it means the specific student the instructor is viewing did not yet contribute to the discussion.  

I often tell faculty during my workshops that SpeedGrader allows you to isolate on just one student's contributions in a Discussion without going through the whole discussion.  If, on the other hand, you see in SpeedGrader something like "I totally disagree with that!" and nothing else from a student, you have to view it in the context of the full discussion to see exactly to whom the student was replying.

(All that said, if a student is showing nothing in SpeedGrader but a check of the full discussion indeed indicates that the specific student did reply, then it may be time to contact Canvas Support to see if there's an issue with the student replies showing.)

I hope this helps a bit, Tammy. 

tellison
Community Contributor

I understand everything you said, however it is not showing the student

replies when in fact they have replied.

I showed the professor how to select View discussion and search for the

entry but this not how it should function. It should show the individual student’s

posts in Speedgrader. 

I was asking if if there was an issue or a setting he may have selected to cause this. 

kblack
Community Champion

If it was a regular, graded discussion then there is nothing I can think of that could cause that behavior if the students replied, Tammy. Even in a graded GROUP discussion the instructor should still be able to see all individual student replies in SpeedGrader.  There is not any issue that I am aware of regarding this, and in fact I tried it again just now on a sample course site just to be sure.  That's not to say that it's working for everyone, though.  I would definitely file a case with Instructure on this, then.  But first, just a few added precautions:

-Eliminate browser issues. (Make sure the instructor is on an updated browser.  Speaking of which...can YOU see the student replies in SpeedGrader....if you have administrative rights? If so, perhaps there's a browser issue.)

-If you have admin rights, you may want to see if you can replicate the issue yourself...perhaps on a test class or something.  If yes, there's something odd going on.  If not, then it may be specific to your instructor.

Sorry I can't think of more!

tellison
Community Contributor

Thank you Ken. It is does not do it on my computer so I will report a case.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:10 AM kblack@dom.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

James
Community Champion

tellison 

This sounds like a long-standing issue when there is a group discussion and the student is not, or was not, in a group before they made their posts. Only students in groups at the time the posts were made will have them show up in SpeedGrader.

Another issue I've found with group assignments is that if you leave a submission comment to a student who is not in a group that the comment you leave in SpeedGrader disappears. The student gets it, but you can't find it if you go back in later. I eventually found it under the "Download submission comments" at the bottom of the comments section in SpeedGrader, but that's as a PDF and not friendly for copy/pasting to repeat the comment.

The first one I've experienced with groups I put the students into, but some students weren't there to be put into a group and they replied before they came to class. The second example was with self-selected groups. That makes me think it's more of a "group" thing than specific to self-selected.

tellison
Community Contributor

This makes sense. He actually created a group set in the class but did not

place anyone in there since he didn't know how it worked. He has since

taken the group set out.

Thank you.

tdanner
Community Participant

I was just contacted by an instructor who is experiencing the same issue, and she's not using groups in her course. Oddly, the students' posts are displaying when accessing SpeedGrader in Grades for prior the first three graded discussions, but they're not displaying for her most recent graded discussion. The issue is prevalent when accessing the SpeedGrader through the a student post in the discussion.

wcarlton
Community Member

I'm having the same problem.  It has worked fine all semester, but not my latest discussion.

tdanner
Community Participant

The workaround below resolved our issue:

1. In the Settings of the Discussion, uncheck the Graded option.
  2. Save the change.
  3. Go back into the Settings and check the Graded option.
  4. Save the change.