Student access

Jump to solution
malsabrook
Community Novice

I have a student trying to access my course. It says he has multiple accounts. When I add him to my course on his end he cant see the course it acts like he is a teacher. Does anyone know a support number I can call? I have deactivated and deleted him from my courses and tried to read him but same issue. He was in the course a one time then had to leave the country and didn't log in for a couple of weeks.

1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @malsabrook 

Thanks for posting this in the Canvas Community! 

I am sorry you are having trouble getting the student added to your course. It sounds like there might be a few factors adding to the confusion. 

• How are you adding the student to the course? When you add a user to a course manually, you can add them with their Email address, SIS ID, or login ID. Canvas recommends adding them by their institutionally assigned email address when ever possible.  
  • Since the student has multiple accounts, you could have them login and check to see which email address is listed in their account. They would view this by clicking on the Account button, and selecting Settings
  • Does your school/institution have a Canvas admin that can possibly merge their multiple Canvas accounts? Since they have multiple accounts, merging the accounts might make it easier on adding them to the course using the manual method. 
  • You mentioned that when you "add them to the course..they can't see the course and it acts like he is a teacher." Are you accidentally adding them to the course with the Instructor/teacher role? If so you would want to make sure you are selecting 'Student' as the role. 

As far as a support number to call, this really depends on if your school/college pays for Canvas Phone support. You can check this by logging into Canvas and clicking on the Help button in the global navigation. 

-Colton 

View solution in original post