Students added to a section but not the course

Jump to solution
AnitaCunningham
Community Member

Hi, I have created a course which contains the assignments, pages, events, modules, sections etc.  I'm using sections as my participants start the course in cohorts but at different times.  Assignment due dates, events, announcements etc are assigned to sections.    If I add a student to the section but not the course (which Free Canvas has allowed me to do), how will that change what they see (vs a student in the section AND course).

I've not found anything on this.  

I wondered about the modules as they aren't assigned to a specific section however it says they are assigned to 'everyone' which I think would include those in the section only, given the section is still part of the course.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @AnitaCunningham,

In Canvas, all enrollments are to a section, and sections essentially belong to a course.  So in short, there is no enrollment in a course directly, it's enrollment in a section of a course.  When assigning things, "everyone" does mean just that, it's all students in all sections of the course.  If you add a second "assign to" for the same assignment, you'll see that "everyone" becomes "everyone else", which tried to ensure that all students get all of the things in the course by default (you can generally remove "everyone else" though if something is only for a specific section of the course.

I hope this info helps you out!

-Chris

View solution in original post

BrianLester
Community Participant

Multi section courses allow different due dates by section, announcements by section etc

You don't need to enroll students in the course as well as in their sections

By default modules are assigned to everyone i.e. all sections but by clicking the three dot menu on the module title bar you could assign a module to just one section if you wish

See the following canvas release notes:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Releases/Canvas-Release-Notes-2024-07-20/ta-p/606797#toc-h...

View solution in original post