Tool that seems to be better at unzipping .imscc files?

Jump to solution
MichaelSalmons
Community Member

I am working on a project involving the unzipping of many .imscc files. The files I've opened so far, I've used 7Zip, which can unzip them, but always reports "corrupt headers." Makes me wonder if some of the data is missing- the courses, when loaded, have a structure but lack content.

I have tried changing the files to .zip and using Windows built-in function, but get the same results, just with no warning about the headers.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered errors, and solved it with a particular tool or method?

I guess it's possible *every* archived course is corrupt... sigh. I hope not.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @MichaelSalmons 

Why not simply unzip them within a Canvas course shell as intended?

Since the import process works in the background, you won't need to babysit the unpackaging, and can just move on to the next one.

Let us know more about your process/project, and there might be a way to get you there easier.

Kelley

View solution in original post

MichaelSalmons
Community Member

Actually, it turned out to be a bunch of course shells in a row- like over 100, so I found it strange. I finally encountered one that had all the expected components. So to answer my own question, 7Zip seems like a good, open source, no ad tool that recognizes imscc files and has a console preview of errors. The error seems to be something it doesn't like about the XML, but it's pretty easy to throw an XML parser off with even just an indent, so I don't think it's a problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes