alternative to using grade cam to grade tests?

Jump to solution
AndrewDahl
Community Member

I am running into the issues of the 10 question grading limit for my assessments-

I uploaded my tests as word docs and then set my bubble sheet answer key-

- this took me about 15 hours to revise all of my test question and accurately correlate them to my states curriculum standards and strands

- I did this during preserve not knowing that there was this limit-

I am not sure (almost positive) that my division will not spring for the $$ to upgrade the gradecam

is there a way to :

a: convert and upload my tests so the students can take the tests online (with no bubble sheets)

b: install an alternative capture scan plugin ( free of cheaper than 250$ to scan the bubble sheets in) as I  would with gradecam?

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

Great question. Canvas doesn't have way to import a .doc or .docx or Google Doc and convert it automatically to a Quiz. Canvas does accept QTI files, which create quizzes. However, to create a QTi file is a pain in the butt. I've heard that Respondus and ExamView can convert a WORD document into a QTI file. However, it's not free, but perhaps your institution has access and you could use it. 

Otherwise, you could always just create the KEY with numbered questions and then continue to use your WORD file printed or made available and ask the students to enter their scores into the quiz. I've done this before in my high school class. It worked better actually just having them record answers on a sheet of paper, then at the very end opening Canvas and entering their answers into my blank quiz, which then I had keyed with the answers so that Canvas quiz did all the scoring. This seemed to be a quick way to get results.

If you find a more effective and free way to create QTI files, please let me. 

View solution in original post