Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions about Canvas LMS. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

I am grading a quiz and I noticed a large percentage of students got 1 question wrong. I want to give everyone credit and I want to do it without having to go through each quiz and do it manually.  Is there a way for me to select a question and give ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Students uploaded research papers from Google Drive to a Canvas assignment.  When previewing in the Speedgrader, some formatting is not showing up correctly.  For example, the first paragraph is beginning at the bottom of the title page instead of on...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 Replies

I've written about this before, and submitted a bug report as well...but still having the problem. Whenever I make inline comments on my student's submissions, they disappear once I enter a grade! I'm NOT talking about comments made in the "Comments"...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I quite like Speedgrader to mark assignment, it is much more functional, smoother and doesn't have the same glitches as turnitin does for an online marking platform. The only thing i can't find on speedgrader as a quick marks function. This is quite ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 Replies

I'm having an issue with the file preview feature of Canvas not showing the correct contents of text files. Here's an example:On a Canvas Page, I have linked several text files (which I have uploaded to the Canvas Files area):If I now click on the fi...

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-16-2018 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 23 Replies

I have been unable to access Canvas on my home wifi, but have been able to access it anywhere else. Wondering what to do... this is all on the same laptop

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-12-2018 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hi everyone,I am having issues with Group Sets and Groups. When I create a Group Set with self-sign up groups, and look at it through the Student View, the group has a lock on it as opposed to a "JOIN" link. I cannot seem to "unlock" this for the stu...

(Community Participant)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-11-2018 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 Replies

I have adopted a specifications grading scheme for all my courses, the particulars of which make it all but impossible for me to use the gradebook options on Canvas. Responses to others' questions about specs grading in this forum don't really hel...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 12 Likes
  • 12 Replies

Will the quizzes in Canvas encounter any issues if the instructor changes the passcode after students have started the quiz? I would like to do this to maximize quiz security and ensure that students cannot share the passcode (i.e., via text message)...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Hi,Has anyone put together the NGSS for California in a csv for upload to outcomes? I tried the Kiddom csv for NGSS but received the error that the structure wasn't correct.

(Community Champion)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 1 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Has anyone been able to hide the syllabus link at the account level? We have two distinct documents: a syllabus, which is an institutionally approved document with the course description and outcomes; and a course guide, which is called a syllabus at...

(Community Member)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 04-03-2018 View Solution
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 Replies

A student was unable to submit an assignment direct to Canvas and emailed it to me (Word Doc).  How can an instructor submit it to the Canvas site for the student?

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-26-2020 View Solution
  • 10 Likes
  • 27 Replies

I have already published 9 quizzes on canvas and I need to change the "Quiz Score to Keep" from "average" to "highest" score the students have after 2 attempts. All the quizzes are closed and I already edited the settings, but the scores in the grade...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-22-2018 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Is it possible to add a folder with files to a module

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-19-2018 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Is there any way to search through the gradebook, when you're in the all-student view, for an assignment by name? I have so many assignments and they are in a crazy order and I have to scroll sideways for ages to find a specific assignment... can I d...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 09-21-2021 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I'm looking for an easy app that students can use to annotate a webpage or website for a English Composition course. The students must be able to make comments on the webpage and then save it and submit to the professor for grading. 

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I have created an interactive google slide show for a professional learning course for our teachers and have embedded it on a page in Canvas. The idea is to "lead your own learning" by clicking on parts of the slide that will advance you to a particu...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-25-2020 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 17 Replies

I just started teaching a course in Canvas today.  Under People, I can see who has logged into the class and who has not.  Is there a way to message all the students who have no logged in yet?  I know I can add their names to a message one by one, bu...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 Replies

How do I put a course into the "Past Enrollments" section?  Is this done by the IT department in my university or do I do this somehow when I "complete" or "conclude" a course?Please advise.  Many thanksChris

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-13-2018 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I use groups in many different ways in my classes and have recently been getting some comments from students about the large number of groups they have to manage across all of their courses.In looking at this from the student perspective, I can see w...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 6 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Hi there,So I've read through How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?, but it doesn't really lay out the steps needed to grade a group assignment and then change individual grades, without having to look up multiple help documents.  I like t...

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 13 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Suddenly, there's something called "Test Student" that's shown in in one of my gradebooks! (It's not in all my courses...just one.) Anybody have any idea of what this is...and how to get rid of it??

(Community Contributor)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-08-2018 View Solution
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Suppose I have several quizzes, each possibly out of a different number of points. I'd like for each quiz to be given equal weight in the Canvas gradebook. Is this the default, or do I somehow have to specify this? (I can go back and rescale all the ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-07-2018 View Solution
  • 13 Likes
  • 20 Replies

My school has a rolling enrollment, as such I have a number of students who joined mid way through content at varying places. In the new grade book, I saw a handy late submission box, and checked it thinking it would make my life much easier by autom...

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 01-19-2022 View Solution
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 Replies

There seems to be no way in Canvas to get a downloadable list of members in a group. Even for a moderately large class this is a serious difficulty. it is even difficult to compile the list manually since (a) the names are often truncated and (b) the...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-05-2018 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 Replies

I'm still learning Canvas, and created a group assignment without evidently setting the group component correctly. Now I have graded the group assignments submitted by one person from each group, leaving in-document feedback using SpeedGrader, and ne...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-02-2018 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 Replies

As an administrator customizing our help menu, I would love to set up a link similar to a mailto link but to message a specific person using the internal Canvas conversations tool. This is preferable to using a standard mailto link since many of our ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 08-21-2018 View Solution
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone,I'm looking for a way to download the course roster with group membership identified for each student (e.g., a column in the spreadsheet that contains the group number/name).  I have heard that this data can be pulled through the API and ...

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
Solution Posted: 03-08-2018 View Solution
  • 1 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Is there an LTI App integration in the works for Articulate 360 eLearning software?

(Community Explorer)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hello, I want to know if you can send a personalized message to each user. Like a mail merge. 

(Community Novice)
Canvas Question Forum
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 Replies