ANNOUNCING Collaborations in Canvas: A New Feature in Google Assignments LTI 1.3 and Google Meet LTI

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

AlexisNast
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

Today, we’re excited to announce that Google Assignments LTI 1.3 now integrates with Collaborations in Canvas, the last feature needed to reach parity with the legacy Google Apps LTI integration. Collaborations in Canvas enables teachers and students to work together on the same document at the same time. With the launch of Collaborations support, Google Assignments LTI 1.3 now has all of the functionality that Google Apps LTI provides and more, including improved security, flexibility and integrations. The Google Apps LTI allows users to collaborate only on Docs, Sheets and Slides, whereas Google Assignments LTI 1.3 also supports Forms, Drawings, Sites and Jams. Additionally, Google Assignments LTI 1.3 is built on the latest security standards and is officially supported by Google. Google Assignments LTI 1.3 provides the choice to grade using Canvas Speedgrader or Google Assignments – whichever tool best fits their needs. 

Start transitioning from Google Apps LTI to Google Assignments LTI 1.3

Starting in August 2023, Canvas users will no longer be able to install Google Apps LTI, and no further development will be made on the Google Apps LTI tool. Current Google Apps LTI users will not lose access, but should start transitioning over to Google Assignments LTI 1.3 to improve collaboration and streamline coursework in their institution. When moving over to Google Assignments LTI 1.3, educators will need to re-create their collaborations and can leverage this step by step guide to help with the transition. Google Apps LTI will reach end-of-life on June 30, 2024, meaning users will no longer be able to access the Google Apps LTI tool. See Canvas Upcoming Changes for more details.

Secure, reliable meetings in Canvas, powered by Google Meet

Another new integration between Google and Canvas that we’re excited to announce today is Google Meet LTI. Meet LTI is an integrated application that will give students and educators an easy-to-use, reliable, and secure video conferencing tool, right within Canvas. Canvas users will be able to virtually connect school communities through classes, parent-teacher conferences, professional development, and more. Meet LTI will be available at no charge to all Canvas users by back to school 2024. 

Key Benefits of Collaborations

• Seamless Workflow: Users can access and collaborate on Google Workspace files within the Canvas LMS, eliminating the need to switch between multiple platforms.
  • Real-Time Collaboration: Multiple users can work simultaneously on a document, allowing for real-time collaboration and fostering teamwork among students.
  • Version Control and History: Collaborations automatically tracks changes, ensuring transparency and accountability. Users can view revision history, restore previous versions, and see who made specific changes.
  • Simplified Grading: Instructors can easily access and evaluate collaborative assignments, providing feedback and assessing individual contributions within the familiar Canvas grading interface.

User Information

To make the most of the Collaborations feature in Google Assignments LTI 1.3, here are some key technical details and instructions:

• Supported File Types: Collaborations supports Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and other Google Workspace files. These files can be created directly within Canvas or uploaded from Google Drive.
  • Enabling Collaborations: Canvas administrators need to enable the Google Assignments LTI 1.3 integration and configure it with the necessary credentials. This process ensures a secure and seamless connection between Canvas and Google Workspace.
  • Creating a Collaboration: Create a new Collaboration by selecting the “Collaboration” option in the left-hand menu of a course in Canvas, and choosing who to collaborate with on a Google Drive file (ex. a Google Docs, Slide, Form, Drawing, Site, or Jam). Google Assignments LTI 1.3 will share the files with those users.
  • Student Access and Collaboration: Students can access the Collaboration within the Canvas Collaborations interface. They can edit the document, collaborate with peers, and submit their work directly through Google Assignments.
  • Grading Assignments: Instructors can grade assignments with either Canvas SpeedGrader or Google Assignments. Instructors can provide feedback using familiar Canvas grading tools, and provide personalized copies of files to each student.

How to Get Started

Ask your Canvas admin to install Google Assignments so that you can access it from your course! 

For more details, see Google’s FAQ 

View the Migration Guide in HELP CENTER for step-by-step instructions to move your legacy google folders and documents 

Watch an overview video from InstructureCon about Collaborations in Canvas and Google Meet LTI

Migration Plan

From August 1 and beyond, we will disable installations of the older Google Apps LTI from EduAppCenter (meaning no new sign ups) and offer this how-to MIGRATION GUIDE form Google for migrating your current folders and documents.

NOTE: Questions will be monitored on a weekly basis and answers shared within the week, 

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

71 Comments
AlexisNast
Instructure
Instructure
Author
AlexisNast
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@CarrieReed Speedgrader can be used with Google's LTI 1.3 app!

AlexisNast
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@ambercollins Unfortunately assignments using the old integration will not automatically be updated to use the new tool. We invested significant research time into this problem but were unable to find an automated solution.

AlexisNast
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@tennymaria @MARISSASCHRADER @sfrizelle @michelle_coots 

1. The embedded content from the previous integration will not be visible once the integration is deprecated.
  2. Unfortunately there isn’t a report available to view all assignments with a specific integration.
  3. Work submitted via the old google integration will no longer be visible within Canvas. You can test this on assignments you are concerned about in your beta environment by removing the Google 1.1 app and opening those assignments. The beta environment is regularly refreshed based on your production environment, so you do not need to worry about changes made being permanent and can safely test out potential changes.
tennymaria
Community Explorer

@michelle_coots @sfrizelle  @AlexisNast 

We have been doing a lot of testing and have started taking out files embedded with the original Google LTI. For Docs, you can see a visual difference. The old embedded Docs show the toolbars at the top vs the LTI 1.3 has a sleek scroll bar on the right. With Slides, we cannot tell a difference without looking at the code. We have also found some hyperlinked files are using the original Google LTI. To find out if any items use the old LTI, if you go to the code you can use ctrl+f to find google-drive. Files with google-drive that start with a course url need to be replaced. Items with LTI 1.3 have a URL to the Google file in the code instead of a URL that starts with a Canvas course. It is a daunting process, but this is what is helping us. 

NickBrando
Community Member

@AlexisNast 

How do I access Google Assignments if I don't have Admin? I just created a account for my students to use? So if they Delete Google Apps I won't be able to use it?

JenJEmerson7
Community Novice

l

AdminWhalley
Community Member

@AlexisNast  I am not sure this is the right place to post this, but can't seem to find the more general Google LTI transition documentation.

I may have missed this being mentioned before but I just noticed that, when using the new integration in the RCE, the embedded document can no longer be edited directly from Canvas. This is a huge loss! An instructor could just be in Canvas and update a document as needed before and now have to leave Canvas to update the embedded files. 

So far, for me, this transition is providing many headaches. We need feature parity and a smooth transition process (that retains student work and embedded documents). Can we not sunset the original LTI until the new LTI is actually ready?

hesspe
Community Champion

I would like to better understand why what seems to me to be a serviceable Google Apps integration, is being replaced by the Google Assignments LTI.   What Google lists as Features and Benefits do not it seems to me justify the effort that will be required from students and instructors to learn new ways of accomplishing what they have not so far found reason to complain about.

nwilson7
Community Champion

@hesspe for what it is worth, pretty much every company that makes an LTI for Canvas is switching to the 1.3 standard.  The main reason for this is it provides for more security of the data being passed between Canvas and the tools as well but also offers other options as the integration is different.  Because of this, these companies, like Google, have to redo much of their design and not all have included feature parity.  Some have completely missed the boat, like the only reason we use the tool was not included in the 1.3 transition.  That said, we switched to the new Google 1.3 several years ago and personally I think it is much better and our faculty do appreciate the benefits, such as being able to use SpeedGrader on Google Assignments.  I know this transition is not as simple as it is being made out to be but the new version has been out for many years now so guessing Google feels like it is time to retire the old one.

Not sure this helps at all but thought I would share.  Good luck with everything!

Nick

james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nwilson7 It is my understanding that the Google Apps integration was actually developed by Instructure, so they should have control over when it is retired. If that is the case, I would implore Instructure to keep Google Apps available and to put pressure on Google to improve the parity of the 1.3 integration.

nwilson7
Community Champion

@james_whalley My understanding is the same as yours, I just thought that Google was behind dropping support for the older integration as regardless of who built it, it is still "their" tool since it is connecting to Google systems.

james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nwilson7 It could be. Funny enough though, we reached out to Google with questions about the transition and the support team was shocked to hear that there was a sunset date for the Google Apps LTI.

KymBender
Community Participant

"Secure, reliable meetings in Canvas, powered by Google Meet

Another new integration between Google and Canvas that we’re excited to announce today is Google Meet LTI. Meet LTI is an integrated application that will give students and educators an easy-to-use, reliable, and secure video conferencing tool, right within Canvas. Canvas users will be able to virtually connect school communities through classes, parent-teacher conferences, professional development, and more. Meet LTI will be available at no charge to all Canvas users by back to school 2024."

Does this mean that the Meet LTI will be a separate LTI that would be able to be installed separately? Or will this functionality be added to the existing Google Assignments LTI 1.3?

JThames1
Community Novice

I created an assignment on the Google Cloud and can't find my students' work....

CDMc
Community Novice

I keep seeing information about collaborations, but what does this mean for just regular assignments? Will we still be able to assign Google docs/slides/sheets as individual assignments? Or is everything going to be collaborations?

nwilson7
Community Champion

@CDMc The new LTI is for all the Google assignments stuff as well.  We have been using it for about 3 years now.

-Nick

MoatazKhan12
Community Explorer

google assignments lti 1.3 doesn't provide the "group" function. Google Apps provides that instructor with the ability to select specific groups of students. 
Will that feature be present in future updates of lti 1.3? 

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

@MoatazKhan12 External Tool assignments (Google or otherwise) don't work with the Groups feature in Canvas. See the note at the top of this guide: 

james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

@MoatazKhan12 Are you asking about the group function when using the 1.3 integration in Collaborations?

james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

@AlexisNast You note above that:

Unfortunately assignments using the old integration will not automatically be updated to use the new tool. We invested significant research time into this problem but were unable to find an automated solution.

You also note:
  1. The embedded content from the previous integration will not be visible once the integration is deprecated.
  2. Unfortunately there isn’t a report available to view all assignments with a specific integration.
  3. Work submitted via the old google integration will no longer be visible within Canvas. You can test this on assignments you are concerned about in your beta environment by removing the Google 1.1 app and opening those assignments. The beta environment is regularly refreshed based on your production environment, so you do not need to worry about changes made being permanent and can safely test out potential changes.

From this, it sounds like Instructure will not be working with users to help them through this completely manual migration process from a tool they built to the one the vendor is replacing it with. Is that the case? Did you hook us all on a tool and now will not help us as you take the tool away and we need to move over to a new tool?

Also, if the two can run side-by-side and there is still not feature parity (see @MoatazKhan12@AdminWhalley and more above), why not just let us continue to use Google Apps 1.1?