Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

jherron​ -

That would be a really nice feature. In ANGEL it wasn't too much of a hassle because you had all of the comments available - you just had to find them and copy them.  I have not used Turnitin's Grademark, but having a list of past comments that I could click on would greatly improve my ability to grade assignments quickly.

As an extension of this request (and to make the developer think - if it gets that far) would be for the list of comments to be available to all instructors/grading assistants for that course.  I teach a course where I sit down with the TA's to perform the grading across all lab sections in an attempt to make the grading uniform.  so having the bank of comments available to myself and the TA's would be a tremendous help.

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

You could have it that it is linked to either the course or the user?

The question I have would be whether you as a marker might want to share these comments with either other markers on the course or to other assignments in the course?

I can see the benefit of sharing common comments across multiple assignments

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@r_v_jones ​

Your comments are a good expansion on this subject.  I had not thought about making comments available from one assignment to another assignment.  I could use something like that in my course as well..  For me having the comments linked to the course would be fine.  A more interesting approach would be to create a comment bank as an individual user that I could use when grading any assignment for any course.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Great discussion  @Ron_Bowman ​  @r_v_jones ​ and jherron​. I like how this idea is developing!  We will put it up for community voting on June 3rd so be sure to "bookmark" and return to this idea so you can vote it up!

If any of you weren't aware, we have a redesign of Speedgrader 2.0​ on our roadmap if you'd like to chime in over there. This might be a feature Deactivated user​ is interested in discussing further as we get closer to Speedtrater 2.0 😉

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Right now I have a Google Doc with common comments I make for my students. Copy + Paste has been helpful, but having them built in per-course would be wonderful.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

In our Speedgrader 2.0 research we've heard the request for a comment bank quite often. It's a pretty big undertaking, but we're exploring the idea for inclusion in Speedgrader 2.0. It may, however, end up being more like Speedgrader 2.1. It really depends on how much we can get included in the scope for 2.0. Suffice it to say, we know this is a really important feature that could be very helpful when it comes to saving instructors time. And I LOVE saving instructors time!

amcc
Community Member

I agree that having a comment bank would really speed grading of student papers. I'm told BB has such a feature and really hope to see it in Canvas.

dahlj1
Community Novice

This would be a great buy in factor for hesitant teachers. The simplier the tool the more likely we will get teachers to use it.

s_lindsay
Community Novice

This is essentially the same as by  @joel_mills ​

ccalderon
Community Champion

Here's another great idea to save from the chopping block - only 13 votes needed before Tuesday! This is one of the best features of Turnitin's GradeMark. Going to reach out to my co-workers to vote this one up - let's make it happen!!