cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ucciarditj
Community Member

Google Drive LTI not showing student submissions in Speedgrader

Jump to solution
Hello, I am one of the preK-12 district admins for Canvas. We enabled the New Student Enhancement feature just before winter break and our biggest issue is now when the secondary students submit work using the file upload and attach their Google Drive work the teacher can not view work in Speedgrader. It leaves a file with no way to open. They must download the file and then upload it to Google Drive to view it. We did find a work around if you download the file then add a .doc or .txt to the end of the name it will open on the teachers device. Please read below. I have sent tickets to Canvas Support. This feature worked before and some are calling for us to roll back to the old way of submitting.

When using the New Student Submission Enhancements if a teacher has made an assignment as a File upload. After the student goes through all the steps to Submit the teacher wants to view in Speedgrader. Look at Final Screenshot - There is no option to view the document in Speedgrader. The old version you could view the document in Speedgrader. Now the teacher has to download the file then upload it to Google Drive to view it to grade it. Is there a fix or is this how it is supposed to work?

1. the student chooses more options 
2. chooses Google Apps
3. Selects File (If you notice in the screenshot there is no Submit button because the submit button is buried on the bottom of the files so the end user needs to scroll through all of the files (see screenshot)
4. click submit
5. click submit again
image.png
image (1).png
image (2).png
image (5).png
image (3).png

FINAL SCREENSHOT ON THE TEACHERS END

image (4).png

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

By way of update as I do not see that one has yet been posted, the fix for this was deployed to production on March 03, 2021. Teachers should now see student submissions using the Google Drive LTI in SpeedGrader as expected. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
epulham
Community Participant

Oh this is really good to know. 

Quick question based on the user interface of some of your screenshots it looks like you're using the Google Drive LTI not the updated Assignments LTI? I don't know if Google Drive LTI is going to be updated in the future because they're supposed to roll out Speedgrader functionality for the new Assignments LTI soon. 

I have held off on turning on the Assignment Enhancements (it's a feature option that my instructors can opt into per course). Because this Assignment Enhancement is so new, I have not wanted to force my instructors to use it until we are aware of the bugs. 

Thanks for your reply and you are correct the Google Drive LTI was allowing for submissions to be seen in the Speedgrader before transitioning to the new student assignment enhancements. I received a support ticket update that this is moving up past L2 engineers so hopefully we see a fix and they are aware of the issue.

epulham
Community Participant

Ah, that is good. I hope you will respond with what they find out from L2 engineers! Thanks for sharing your bug.

When I get information I will post it. I don't want others left out of the loop.

alopez
Community Member

This is exactly the issue I'm having that has prevented me from turning this feature on for my district, hopefully there's a fix soon because I think it will make a big difference for students, but it has to be usable for teachers in Speedgrader. 

sabitbol
Community Participant

I had the same problem. By asking students whose submissions were not coming through, I was able to isolate that the issue was happening with the Google Apps submission option, not the Google LTL option. I am disabling the assignment enhancement option to make sure it doesn't happen again until Canvas fixes the issue. 

ucciarditj
Community Member

We are back and forth with disabling the Assignment Enhancements but decided to stick with it. We have provided work arounds for the students. We have received positive messages about it and would had to turn something on/off all the time due to a bug. Fingers crossed this issue gets fixed soon or at least given a time frame on when it will be addressed.

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

By way of update as I do not see that one has yet been posted, the fix for this was deployed to production on March 03, 2021. Teachers should now see student submissions using the Google Drive LTI in SpeedGrader as expected. 

View solution in original post