Admin Roles and Sub Accounts (FLAT)

Jump to solution
joshua_johnson1
Community Explorer

Greetings, 

Due to some SIS limitations, our current school has a relatively flat SubAccount structure:

• School
    • EDU
    • BML
    • ADC
    • ETC....

I'm adding a permission such as (EDU/BML admin) but due to our limitation I can't give them their own parent folder.

If I add that permission to both accounts, then the user has to go and run reports on each account separately.

I was hoping to find a way to let them see them grouped together (i.e. if I gave them access at the Schools level, but it would only list courses in the subaccount they have access to below it).

My first attempt was to create a Schools permission that had no rights.  (This caused the Schools level to appear in their admin screen)... and then give them permission to view course list at the EDU and the BML subaccounts.  The problem is that when they would access the SChools subaccount course list, it showed all courses in Schools (even those for subaccounts they don't have access to and I didn't give the account any permissions at the school level).

Does anyone have any advice?  I wish I could add another level in the hierarchy, but that option isn't available.  Basically, I want someone to be able to click on the Schools and see only the list of courses in the subaccounts that they actually have access to.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
blopes
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @joshua_johnson1 

I understand. Unfortunately, what you are trying to set up with the permissions is not a behavior we would expect. If they have admin rights to two subaccounts, they still need to go into each of them for access to the information on them both. there isn't a way to get their information together unless they have access to the whole account. 

You are welcome to create a feature request. We are always happy to hear new ways we can improve.

How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community? 

View solution in original post