Discussion Boards across multiple courses

Jump to solution
EleanorWallace
Community Member

Is it possible to share a discussion board across multiple courses? So that students in separate courses can see/reply to each other? 

I cannot cross-list in my school district. My inclusion students are in a separate roster from my gen-ed students, so they are enrolled in separate courses in Canvas. I like using the Discussion Board feature mbut I need to include all students on the same one.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@EleanorWallace ...

No, this is not possible.  There are only two other ways I can think of on how you could accomplish this:

• Create a separate Canvas course and enroll all students from both courses into this course.  Create your discussion topic(s) in that course where your students can reply.
  • Create a group that lives outside of any Canvas course.  This group would also have the ability to create discussion topics.  However, the group would not have all the other features of a regular course shell.  Back in March 2017, I wrote a short blog on this: Campus Clubs and Groups - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

Both of these options might require that you speak with your school's Canvas administrator to get either the course shell created or the group created at the account level (not a group within a course shell).  And then, the students would need to be added.

Do you think either of these options might work for your needs?  Keep us posted here in the Community.

View solution in original post

0 Likes