How to avoid bothering teachers with student group communication

Jump to solution
E3Q
Community Member

When students communicate in their group site, teachers automatically also get notified, because they are by default also part of the group, as teachers. Teachers cannot be removed from groups and apparently, they also cannot shut off group communication (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Is-it-possible-to-turn-off-the-teacher-noti...). Furthermore, the group sites or their communication functionality cannot be disabled. This makes the group site communication functions very bothersome for us, as we may get spammed by the intra-group student communication of 50-odd groups. Because we need groups, we cannot avoid this issue. So please implement functionality to make usage of group communication possible without endangering teacher sanity.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @E3Q 

Thanks for posting this in the global Canvas Community! 

I understand your frustration with not being able to turn off notifications for communication occurring within student groups. 

This sounds like it would make a great feature request. I searched around on this and found some related ideas that had been submitted HERE and HERE. 

I agree that it would be nice to be able to configure what notifications are being sent to the instructors for things happening within groups in Canvas.  I know that some schools and institutions have the ability to filter different types of emails that come through to users from Canvas. This can sometimes alleviate issues where users are receiving a large amount of unwanted notifications for things in Canvas. You might be able to explore this option with your IT team. 

If you would like to submit this as a feature request, you could that HERE. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post