Lost work and access log shows no activity

Jump to solution
EmmaQuigley
Community Member

I had three summer classes that I took online.  All of my submissions for one of the classes are gone.  The activity log shows no activity from June-August, this cannot be true.  The professor never reached out to me to let me know there was an issue.  Long story short, the professor failed me and I am appealing the grade.

I took the course at home (Eastern time), the school/professor is Central Time.  The school pulled my access report and it shows not activity for that time period, so they are standing behind the professor.  On the top of the report it states "There appears to be a problem with one of your contact methods. Please check your Settings Page."  I don't know what that means.

I took the course and submitted my assignments when they were due.  My work was not autosaved, so I have no proof.

Can anything be saved?  Can the "real" activity log be saved?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Solutions
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @EmmaQuigley,

The one thing we can probably help with here in the community is the contact methods.  The  How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas not... - Instructure Community - 516  guide shows how you can add/edit contact methods, and also shows a warning icon which would show if one of your contact methods is having an issue.

Aside from that, this really is going to be an issue to continue to speak with your school/institution and teacher about.  There are very few scenarios where Canvas would not have any record of submissions.  If you have anything saved locally (like a Word document for an assignment), that might help prove your case.  The Instructure Community here is made up primarily of Canvas admins, teachers, and students from around the world, so none of us will be able to access your specific course or Canvas instance to look into anything at all.  Even if we could, your school/institution likely has policies and procedures they have to follow for a situation like this, so advice from others online probably would not help your case at all.

I apologize that I don't have better news for you, but hopefully you're able to come up with a workable solution with your school/institution and teacher.

-Chris

View solution in original post

JeffCampbell
Community Coach
Community Coach

@chriscas gave some solid info as to the limits we have on our end. A few thoughts crossed my mind.

If you are still enrolled, but it is past term, click on Courses on the far left menu and then select All Courses. Scroll down to Past Enrollments and see if the course in question is listed there. If it is, open and go to your Grades page. That should show your submission dates/times. If it does, THAT is the page you want to show when appealing your grade. You might even get lucky and be able to open the submissions from there. If that list does NOT show any submissions, then that could be a problem

0 Likes

Hi @EmmaQuigley sorry to hear that you are having problems, and @JeffCampbell and @chriscas has given you some good solid feedback.

Just one small thing for you to try, which is to check your profile > Files > Submissions to see if your original work is there.

Hi @EmmaQuigley,

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly who you would contact.  every school/institution handles support for Canvas differently.  If you were a student at my institution, you'd end up speaking with me about something like this, but at some schools it may just be the teacher or others it could be an advisor or just general help desk staff.  Reaching out to your general help desk by phone or email would be the best first step to take.  if you aren't satisfied with their answer you could ask for the issue to be escalated, but that would be up to your school/institution to decide to take action or not.

-Chris

0 Likes