cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TravisMarks
Community Member

Not able to use DocViewer annotations

I see all over the internet examples of teachers annotating student submissions in speed grader. In these speedgraders, you can clearly see options to draw and add text to student assignments. I have attached an image as an example. 

However, in my speed grader and the speed graders of my co-workers, we do not see these options to annotate. Is there a setting that needs to be changed in order for us to annotate student submissions?

I am attaching an image of what I see in speedgrader's DocViewer for a word document submitted to an assignment. As you can see, there are no options to annotate the document.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @TravisMarks 

You can only annotate submissions which are attached files.  You can't annotate submissions which are direct text entries.

Hi @ mzimmerman,
Thank you for your response I want to be clear, however, that I am attempting to annotate an attached word document that was submitted as a file. It is not a text entry, still, my DocViewer does not give me any annotations to submit. Are there any other reasons why this might be happening?
0 Kudos
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Can you show the full screen of the Speedgrader page?   The screenshot you have does not show the download link in either the upper left corner or below the "Submitted files" area.

TravisMarks
Community Member

Yes. Absolutely. Here is a different screenshot. Thank you for giving this issue your attention and requesting more information. 

0 Kudos
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Is the .docx file able to be downloaded from the Speedgrader page?  It looks like the download link in the upper left corner is missing, and the one in the right side is greyed out...

Hi,

Thank you for asking. Yes. I can download the document without a problem. Here is a screenshot if the document being downloaded to my PC from speedgrader. 

0 Kudos
chriscas
Community Champion

Are you able to actually give a grade for the assignment?  As far as I know (as A Canvas admin), the ability to annotate with DocViewer is tied to the "Grades - Edit" permission.  Knowing whether or not you can put a grade in and save it might help troubleshoot this issue.

-Chris

Hi Chriscas,
Yes. I am able to grade the assignment and enter comments. I simply cannot annotate.
0 Kudos