Why does Canvas Permit Assignment Submissions After the Until Date?

burgerk
Community Participant

Dear All,

What I am going to discuss is driving me insane (my psychiatrist told me to tell Canvas "Thank you.") because the behavior of Canvas in this situation completely flies in the face of rational logical behavior.

Here is the situation. I have assignments and quizzes which are all configured so the Available From date is empty, and the Due Date and Until Dates are set to be the same exact moment in time. For example, Assignment X is configured so the Available From Date field is empty, the Due Date field is 2023-01-15 23:59, and the Until Date is 2023-01-15 23:59.

I never accept late assignments.

Everything I have read about Canvas in this forum and by searching the internet tells me that if I want to prevent students from submitting assignments late, then I have to configure the assignment's Until Date to be same value as the assignment's Due Date, and then, voilà, no late submissions will be allowed.

I have done this. ✓

However, some students are still submitting assignments AFTER the Due/Until Date, i.e., which in my dictionary means they are submitting assignments LATE.

For example, for Assignment X, student A submitted their solution 7.8 days late, i.e., after the 2023-01-15 23:59 deadline, which means they submitted their solution sometime during the day of 2023-01-22. And I know it was submitted 7.8 days late because that is what the gradebook tray tells me.

Now, I do not have a late submission policy configured in the GradeBook Settings because since I set the Until Date of every assignment equal to the Due Date, then this means students cannot submit a solution after the Until Date, i.e., late, doesn't it? That seems to be what I have read in multiple places.

So, I have no clue about what is going on, other than Canvas is behaving in a way which is contradictory to the way this forum and the internet says it is supposed to behave.

It seems to me that I should not have to configure a late submission policy in Gradebook Settings because I don't have a late submission policy because I dont accept any assginment submission after the Due/Until Date. That is why I set the Due and Until Dates of each assignment to be the same!

Now, I have read about the way Canvas is supposed to accept a late submission, i.e., one after the Due Date, by flagging the submission as Late and then forcing the instructor to have to decide whether to accept the late submission or not. [Incidentally, as an instructor who has between 400-800 students in all of my courses each semester, that particular "feature" is not at all convenient. I wouldn't have the time to look at potentially dozens of late assignment submissions and click whatever buttons I have to click to deny the submission.] So, this seems to be what is happening, BUT I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN, and I have no knowledge of what to do to stop it from happening (If I did, I wouldn't be here).

Again, I want to set the Until Date to be the last moment in time for which the student can submit a solution and AFTER THAT MOMENT PASSES, I DO NOT WANT STUDENTS TO BE ABLE TO SUBMIT LATE SOLUTIONS BECAUSE I AM NOT GOING TO ACCEPT THEM LATE ANYWAY BECAUSE I DO NOT ACCEPT LATE ASSIGNMENTS.

Okay that's the situation. I am hoping now that someone can explain:

1. What exactly is Canvas doing when it allows my students to submit solutions AFTER THE UNTIL DATE?

2. Why is Canvas doing that?

3. And, how do I stop Canvas from doing that?

Thank you.

0 Likes