cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Anonymous Surveys to Make them fully Anonymous

Improve Anonymous Surveys to Make them fully Anonymous

(2)

One of our faculty noticed that surveys in Canvas can't be officially anonymous. Students need to know that their feedback is actually anonymous for surveys to work.  Right now, an anonymous survey can be made anonymous and then edited after the students have responded to make it no longer anonymous.   This allows the teacher to see the student individual responses.    A simple solution would be to grey out that button once students have started taking the quiz/survey just like some of the other features in the quiz/survey once the survey has been started.

I found a similar request in the archives: 

Improve Anonymous Submissions - Graded Survey/Quiz

19 Comments
Learner II

I agree, that's pretty important!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi soxford@vcccd.edu 

I agree that truly anonymous surveys are very important to improving participation rates, honest results, and a safe academic environment.

You may want to participate in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/quizzesnext project where the new quizzing engine is being developed with considerable Community member involvement.

Kelley

Surveyor

Hi Kelly, 

Thanks for the feedback.  I am now following the site and tagged this idea for Quizzes_New since I did not see it in the list of ideas. 

Community Coach
Community Coach

I had also checked to see if your idea was in there, in case it was a duplicate, but found none.

Let's hope this gains traction, because the timing is soooo good!

Kelley

Community Member

YES! We would love this feature so we can use surveys for end of course feedback, but we do need it to be fully anonymous. I agree just greying out that option once a survey has started would be a simple fix! 

Community Member

This is VERY important.  We contacted Canvas over 2 years ago about this being a problem for us. 

Community Member

How long will this feature be open for voting?  

Community Member

Unfortunately I have an academic who has just moved on to Survey Monkey because there is no true anonymous feature using surveys (among other reasons Smiley Happy), and so I echo the importance of anonymity. Not having this feature is leading academics outside of Canvas to find a solution, which is not the best from a governance point of view.

Learner II

I'd call this a bug fix not a new feature. If you can simply check a box to see responses to users, the results are NOT anonymous, making this a bug!

This should have been fixed years ago.

Community Coach
Community Coach

I agree that someone with a teacher role shouldn't be able to collect survey results anonymously, and then turn this off to see student responses connected with their names.  I don't think it would be a bad idea, however, to ensure that somehow administratively these students can be connected to their response in case something that is written is of sufficient concern.