cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
millerjm
Community Champion

Anyone bringing kids/family?

Trying to plan things out - I probably want to bring husband and 5 year old girl.  Anyone else bringing family?  She is an only child and would love to be around some other kids at some point during the week!

28 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@millerjm , in the past there have definitely been families at InstructureCon. For the last three years it's been me, my husband, daughter, and my Mom! In addition I know  @kmeeusen ​ makes it a family affair and brings his wife and granddaughter along every year as well!

InstructureCon is a lot of fun and it's even more fun to share it with those you love. Smiley Happy

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

InstructureCon has always been a very family-friendly event - or at least since 2012.

The venues provide many attractions and activities that family members can engage in while you are getting educated, and Instructure holds great receptions in the evenings that family can participate in if you purchase a Family Member Pass for them. In fact, if you purchase guest passes, it even entitles them to food and swag! My wife and granddaughter consider it one of their favorite excursions each year, and my now 14-year old granddaughter starts asking about next year's just after we get home from the current year's.  We attended four InstCons at Park City, and I am just guessing, but my Granddaughter must have ridden the free (to guests) gondola more than 100 times - heck, maybe that many times just last year.

We see more families every year, so there are even lots of other folks for your families to socialize with. The cost of Guest Passes have gone up each year, but when you consider all they get, it is a vacation bargain.

I hope this helps,

KLM

victor
Community Contributor

Unfortunately I read that there won't be any SWAG for guest passes this year.

I was thinking about brining my 3 yr old, but not sure there would be enough to entertain younglings.  Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

victor​, granted this is the first time for Colorado, but my daughter has gone to InstructureCon when she was 1, 2, & 3! And yes, every year there was plenty to keep her busy. There's always swimming, and in previous years there was mini golf, plenty of places to walk/play, gondola rides, a playground, and even the activities at InstructureCon! Here are a few (ok, more than a few, but it was hard to choose!) pictures from the last three years showing the fun we've had!

15-16-IMG_9778.JPG06-07-IMG_9667.JPG

Reagan.jpgReaganBird.jpgReaganSnow.jpgReaganYoung.jpg

Bummer on the swag, Victor, but it is as it is. My Granddaughter has a great collection of the jackets, and wears last year's almost every day. In fact, we got home last year to a record hot Summer, and she still wore that heavy hoodie every day for a month.

HEY ALL YOU INSTRUCTURECON PLANNERS - READ THIS! You are helping to grow a new generation of academics, and perhaps even a few future Instructure employees. My granddaughter has asked me what it would take for her to get a job with Instructure. So reconsider this decision, please!

I know that at The Canyons in Park City, they had a great daycare center for the younger folks, with lots of great activities, but am unsure about the new venue!

KLM

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hey, I remember that beautiful little girl!Heart

Think I'll change out my profile pic to the one of my Granddaughter at the 2012 InstCon.

kwoolley
Instructure
Instructure

@jasond ​ usually bring his kids! I'm pretty sure he's brining them again this year.

millerjm
Community Champion

Thanks everyone for the info.  I think I'll be bringing my husband and the girl.  She is 5 so if anyone else is bringing kids and spouses not involved in conference she would love a few friends to play with.  Smiley Happy  She will get to have a ton of daddy time. 

millerjm
Community Champion

@kmeeusen  , my 5 year old girl is going to grow up to be a computer scientist and teacher like mommy when she grows up.  Giving her some swag would just help prepare a future canvas user or employee!