A00015317
Community Participant

Canvas Data - What It Tells Us About Course Design

Home.pngSchedule.pngFood & Fun.pngPartners.pngHelp & FAQ.png

Tap/click map to enlarge

ic16_map_shavano_peak.png

Kevin Reeve

Utah State University - HigherEd

What can Canvas Data and analytics tell us about course design? Do students navigate and access content the way we think they do and in the way we intended when we designed the courses? Is the Home Page the gateway to course content? Come learn what USU discovered by looking at the data.

182934_landscape.jpgComment and connect below
19 Replies
A00015317
Community Participant

A colleague of mine did some Canvas data mining and found that not all students started at the home page for their course interactions throughout the semester.  What percentage do you think that was? 

It caused me to start thinking about how we design courses, and if the homepage is not always the gateway into the course, then are we making other assumptions about how students are navigating courses, and therefore our course design?   Interesting stuff for sure.  Looking forward to sharing our initial findings with you and also getting your ideas.

hrutherford
Community Participant

Kevin,

I found that it was necessary for all of our courses to be built from a

template that would force the students to all start from the same place.

For faculty that did something outside of using the template in full

created chaos for the students and missed assignments/tasks. Whether this

is the right thing to do for all institutions, it has definitely been the

correct thing to do at our institution. The only downside that I am

finding with the use of a template is courses end up looking like a hodge

podge when faculty go to add something that isn't in the template. Those

are few and far between, as I build almost all courses for all of our

faculty members.

Community Champion

I'm guessing that 35% - 45% of students don't start with the Homepage, if other options exist.  This is why I try to encourage faculty to limit the course menu options to their intended/preferred access points and pathways to and through their course content and structure. I also encourage the use of 'prerequisites' and interaction 'requirements' in Canvas. This way, students can't easily bypass the teaching and learning content that is built into their course design, and simply 'cherry pick' the assignments, quizzes and other required interactions.  I believe that this is very important for successful online course design, and helps ensure that the full context of course materials is at least presented to the student.

Community Champion

Our faculty would never go for full-on template use, so... guidance, demonstration and education meets with a lot less resistance.

hrutherford
Community Participant

In a lot of ways, I would rather the faculty want more input, but they were

very resistant to the change to Canvas, so we have to build something so

basically their classes could look as close to what they were in our old

system. This seemed to be met with much less resistance. I love hearing

about how others do, so maybe we can move away from the cookie cutter

looking classes.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

When we switched from Angel to Canvas it gave us a great opportunity to use a template that primarily focused on utilizing Modules and having Discussions, Assignments, Pages, Files, Quizzes not available for students to access. Modules was set as the homepage and faculty put everything underneath modules in a weekly or topic module. After the transition was over and we were on Canvas for 2 semesters, the template was modified so faculty could go into Navigation and make the unavailable items available to students if they wanted to. We found that the majority of our faculty have kept most of the navigation hidden from students and use the Modules to organize all of the assignments and course materials. I think the template was important during the transition to help emphasize the effectiveness of organizing course assignments and materials in modules.

Community Champion

I can see where that approach would have been a great way to initially implement Canvas.  Unfortunately, our faculty leadership didn't embrace that approach, and beyond that, we had to fight to require basic Canvas training (Canvas Essentials).  We now have requirements in place, Canvas Essentials, Transitioning to Teaching OnLine (pedagogy and effectiveness), and Applying the QM (Quality Matters) Rubric, for Hybrid or Fully OnLine.  It's often a challenge, but I love it!   ;>)

jlvankley
Community Participant

At my institution we're just starting to test the use of badges for faculty training.  We're working with Canvas Premier Partner - Badgr​, and we're just in the initial building and testing phase.  Our hope is that badges and gamifying faculty training will incentivize (at least emotionally) our faculty to move through the training.  6 months from now I'll be interested to look at what the data tells us about how successful this endeavor is. 

iys2
Community Participant

Dale, our institution just switched in SP16 from ANGEL to Canvas, our first full semester. We are currently in transition phase and we are doing the same thing that you mention. When we were piloting Canvas, we tried various methods, one was having all of the navigation components turned on, and that was more confusing for students, as there were so many ways that they could get to one item. We have adopted a list of best practices, and one includes which navigational components should be turned on (although if a faculty member found it beneficial to turn other options on that was up to them to decide based on their pedagogical needs).