Possibilities for User Experience of Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes Migration

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

User Experience of Content Migration from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes

If you’ve been wondering what we’re considering for content migration to support the Sunsetting Classic Quizzes Timeline, look no further! As with all of our new features, we need to ensure we understand user needs and the impact we would have along the way. That’s where your feedback here plays a vital role. 

Instructure is focused on providing a minimally impactful transition for the majority of users. Right now we envision this as a “seamless migration”. The objective would be to migrate content in the flow of your normal course/class building. 

Seamless migration would leverage common creation scenarios as an opportunity to automatically migrate content. You can expect content migration tools to be completed as part of our Phase 1 milestone commitment to customers. At the bottom of the post the slides provide a deeper dive into those different pathways through the transition period.

Here is what we are considering, but need your input. 

Already have a previous course you want to keep using in the future?

• Copy Course from one to another (Master, Sandbox Course, Blueprint or Single Course)

If you use the Settings → Course Copy, all Classic Quizzes in the origination course will automatically migrate to a New Quiz in the copy process. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically. Course relationship to the bank maintained.

Creating a new course or course shell SIS created and need to add prior content? 

•  Import from Other Course

If you use the Settings → Import Course, all Classic Quizzes in the origination course will automatically migrate to a New Quiz in the import process. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically without extra steps. Course relationship to the bank maintained. 

• QTI Import 

No change to user experience. 

•  Migrate

No change to user experience. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically. Course relationship to the bank maintained. 

• Send to/ Copy to 

If you use the Send to or Copy to features, these will behave exactly like Migrate does currently. One by one, a quiz can be shared with a user or copied into a different course and would automatically become a New Quiz. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically.

• API Imported

Adding content to your quiz programmatically through an API?  Will become available with Public API 

• Commons Direct Import

To be addressed immediately following Prevent Classic Quiz Creation

• Third Party .zip files

Still evaluating

Outside of seamless migration, are there other paths you use that we should consider? One case we’ve heard from another post was the mention of courses that are either ongoing or exist for many years. I need you; before that point, I was not aware of the circumstance. To best serve you, I want to know about these scenarios. Please add your comments.

Supporting Materials:

Walk Through Slide

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

53 Comments
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

What's the phase 1 timeline? I'm not sure I'm reading the graphic correctly, is it December 2021. We're long-time Canvas users and there's a lot of panic around question banks not migrating to new quizzes right now. Is this something we can expect to see during Q4?

Along with migration, we're hearing a lot about the missing media recorder. Many teachers have quizzes where they've recorded them self reading the directions to students. Those files do not come over with the import, is that use case being looked at? I saw elsewhere recent discussion around turning on Immersive Reader in quizzes. That would negate the need to have these audio files and save teachers the work needed to create these files. 

Looking at the Prezi, to import Classic Quizzes from Commons, it says teachers will have to Download/Upload to bring the quiz in as a New Quiz instead of just using the Import feature. That's a really problematic workflow and it's going to be very challenging to communicate to teachers "in this one instance, do follow these directions". Some Canvas Quizzes will be bundled in modules and teachers may not realize there's a classic quiz in that import. 

candice_mcphers
Community Participant

What can you share about migration of New Quizzes between different instances of Canvas and common cartridge interoperability with other learning management systems? 

aaron_bahmer
Community Contributor

I'd like to speak to 3rd party import, particularly from Respondus. There are two ways to import questions from Respondus:

1. The Canvas import course content method using QTI.zip file. This looks to be handled already as I see the checkbox for "Import assessment content as New Quizzes" - though I haven't tried it. For parallel functionality, I hope it a) creates a NQ quiz from the imported file, and b) creates an Item Bank of those same questions.
  2. What I assume is an API method whereby Respondus connects directly to Canvas and allows for upload (import) directly into a particular course/section owned by the instructor. I hope this process continues to be supported and creates both the quiz and related Item Bank.

During the transition period, it would be wonderful if the Respondus folks had the ability to provide two different Canvas "personalities" - one for the legacy process and one that would let Respondus allow for the new question types in its interface. I assume this requires constant communication with Respondus and their own development process to accommodate the transition and the update to IMS 2.x standard.

venitk
Community Champion

What happens if a course has a classic quiz type (such as it's a survey) or question type (eg, a type of question not offered in New Quizzes)? Will be get some sort of warning? 

Thanks, @SuSorensen, this is very helpful.  

venitk
Community Champion

Also, I agree with Audra that more specificity in the timeline would be helpful for planning. Thanks!

samuel_heer
Community Participant

Dear @SuSorensen , dear all

In my opinion, a good migration experience also requires offering good workarounds for functions that were available in the Classic Quiz, but unfortunately no longer in New Quizzes (there are some functions that we will miss greatly). Two examples:

• Student analysis and CSV export of detailed results:
    This is very important for us because we use Canvas quizzes for large exams that consist of multiple exam parts / topics which can also be weighted differently. In order to calculate student scores for each part of the exam, we absolutely need a detailed student analysis and the ability to download it.
  • Question type "Text (no question)":
    This is also very important when using quizzes for large exams, because it allows bringing structure into the exam, e.g. with (inter)titles between the exam parts. Unfortunately, the new question type "Stimulus" is not suitable for this, since for every stimulus a question must be recorded. Thus, you can't use it to just create a title between exam parts.

These are just two examples of features that our faculty will strongly miss in New Quizzes. Thus, to be able to convince them of New Quizzes, we need well-functioning workarounds for those functions that are no longer available in the new quiz tool. Maybe this should be considered in the migration process as well...

Thank you very much for your great effort to provide a smooth transition to New Quizzes.

Regards
Sam

rmcochran
Community Participant

I agree with Aaron that it's important for software such as Respondus to work with new quizzes. We have a lot of faculty who create tests in Word documents  - it would be great if these could be uploaded as a new quiz more seamlessly. Right now, we have to create it via Respondus, but it imports into Canvas as a classic quiz which then needs to be migrated to a new quiz. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@aaron_bahmer ...

We also use Respondus 4.0 to batch upload questions into Classic Quizzes ... as you've described in your point #2.  In fact, I wrote a blog post here in the Community about how to format questions if people have Respondus 4.0 at their school: Batch Uploading Quiz Questions with Respondus.  I'm not sure if you've seen this page on the Respondus website, but thought I'd also share:

https://support.respondus.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/604/1/publishing-to-inst...

I hope that we'll be able to continue to use Respondus 4.0 with New Quizzes.

hesspe
Community Champion

Build on what @samuel_heer said. While I acknowledge that there is a lot I like about new quizzes (despite my frequent carping comments about them (including this one), we expect a very rocky transition from classic to new quizzes. People use quizzes in different ways.  I know there will be lots of people who will not miss, for example, not being able to create surveys, but they will seriously miss not being able to grade by question.  And vice versa.  I could give example after example of features that some group of faculty members is going to experience as a serious functional loss which will make no difference at all to others.  The problem is that there are so many loss points (as well as, yes, many new and beneficial features) that there will be something for almost everyone to feel outraged about.   The only migration path that I could get behind is one that does not sunset classic quizzes, but offers sufficient incentives for people to voluntarily choose new quizzes. Chances of that are approaching zero unless there is a "New Coke" sort of backlash when the enforced transition takes place.  We have had a good number of people who tried new quizzes and scurried back to classic because of what I would call, to coin a word, the "inaffordances" of new quizzes. 

rmcochran
Community Participant

And what about the ability to provide bonus questions or survey type quizzes? Those would also be wonderful additions to new quizzes.

BethCrook
Community Contributor

I agree with @samuel_heer about the Question Type: "Text - No Question" need!  There are several cases in assessments, especially long exams or in our foreign language assessments when sections change and instructions need to be given for that new section.  We tried using Stimulus for our new student placement exams this summer and it just didn't have a good overall look and flow. It made the screen very busy and crowded.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Just wanted to +1 the comments around:

• csv item analysis exports
  • Text-no question blocks
milesl
Community Contributor

I echo @venitk 's request for more information about how "edge" cases will be handled:

Will Canvas provide a comprehensive list of all the known questions and configurations that do not migrate to new quizzes, and whether that is a temporary or permanent issue?

For example:

• Text type questions do not migrate (and I believe this will not change, unfortunately)
  • Questions with media embedded do not migrate (but I expect this to be resolved at some point)

What other cases are we unaware of? Surveys, etc.

I'd like to have this list so that I can research on my end to determine how impactful each of these cases will be. For example, we have 28k text questions in our instance according to Canvas data. These 28k questions appear on 10k different quizzes (out of 130k total), meaning that ~7% of our quizzes are impacted by this case and will not directly migrate.

We have a number of long-running courses that do not regularly end, so getting more information about what their migration experience will be like will also be helpful.

mjennings
Community Contributor

@samuel_heer @hesspe @BethCrook FWIW, while this may not be a pretty work around for the text only question, I have my instructors make a fill in the blank question worth zero points that utilizes the drop down option (see image below). Since it is worth 0 points it doesn't matter which answer is correct and it give them a place to put there information.

New Quiz text question.png

hesspe
Community Champion

Very clever, but definitely a workaround.

afurr0026
Community Participant

In addition to the concerns above, will the seamless migration process continue to place migrated quizzes into a Migrated Quizzes assignment group in the Assignments page? 

It would be ideal, if these new quizzes could automatically be placed in the assignment group that their classic quizzes counterparts were originally assigned to. If not, I fear that faculty will fail to make the necessary adjustments in the Assignments page which will result in inaccurate gradebooks.   

anf107
Community Participant

+1 to the timeline question.  What date do you expect the features you list to be available?

One case that is missing.  How will the "forced" migration occur?  These are the quizzes in current/past courses that will need to be retained for a while in our Canvas systems for things like grade disputes/course extensions/etc...  So we will need submission information and original quiz information.  Our current retention period is five years after course ends.

KevinHowland
Community Member

Before you shut off old quizzes, you should make sure that basic functions exist.  We created several Blueprint courses, synced them to this semester's courses.  Then discovered a few small errors in the quizzes.  We can't sync the changes to the courses because the LTI doesn't allow it.  We have to go into all instances of the course and make the changes manually.  

bergs
Community Participant

A major issue we have with New Quizzes is that we have three Canvas accounts linked via a trust relationship and we currently have no way to copy or import a New Quiz from a course in any one of our accounts to a course within one of our other linked accounts. The course import tool does not successfully copy new quizzes when it is used between our trust accounts. With no way to export a new quiz into a file package, we don't even have a work around for this issue.

Our trust relationship setup also causes issues for students attempting to take a new quiz in a course through the Canvas mobile apps (Android and iOS) if the course is in a different trust account than the user's root account. The mobile apps do not launch an LTI (including a new quiz) if the course is in a trust account that is different from the user's root account. The "Launch External Tool" button does nothing when pressed. I've had a support case (06805829) open for this that's been "on hold" since January. This will be a much bigger issue for us when classic quizzes are no longer an option.

BenJam1n
Community Participant

What I really like:

• Copy Course from one to another (Master, Sandbox Course, Blueprint or Single Course)
    • I could copy every course to a new "Master Term," and use these as my repository moving forward. 
  • Import from Other Course
    • This would help me when starting a new semester.  The previous option would cover all others not instructed in the upcoming term(s).
  • Migrate
    • To catch all the small things that didn't get converted. 
  • And all other options, because sometimes I don't take the same approach when moving content.  However, after course creation, my largest task is course copy/import at my institution.  

300+ courses converted from Jenzabar this year and they all came over in Classic Quizzes 😂

Cheers,

Ben

alissaarcline
Community Participant

I would love to see the RCE implemented in the fill-in-the-blank question stem. Currently, when migrating questions including a table over from Classic to New, the table structure is not retained. The RCE is in part of the fill-in-the-blank question, but not in a crucial place where it needs to be--the place where the blanks are created.

Thank you all so much for all you have done and are doing and will do to make New Quizzes what it needs to be--I so appreciate your work!

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

There are so many wonderfully thoughtful responses here and I want to make sure I give them each careful consideration. I will respond to questions in batches of similar content, which may take some time. However, be confident that I'm listening to your needs and concerns. 

@audra_agnelly Yes, you've got that right. We're finishing the migration (assuming this current plan makes sense to everyone) at the end of December so that people could try the migration flow in their betas early on. Yes, yes, yes! I know question banks to Item Banks has been a difficult experience for users. We are planning to incorporate this automatically when using one of the outlined seamless migration pathways. Thanks for the insight on "very challenging to communicate to teachers "in this one instance, do follow these directions". Some Canvas Quizzes will be bundled in modules and teachers may not realize there's a classic quiz in that import." I will talk with the team to see if there is something we can do to mitigate the problem in the short term while we work to support direct Commons importing. 

@venitk @samuel_heer @milesl @mjennings @hesspe @BethCrook  We intend to move all content during the outlined migration process. Specifically, Text No Question will be supported by allowing Stimulus to be added without questions. Surveys will move forward as quizzes and can be managed to include or not include in grading. @alissaarcline this is what we're thinking also. The current plan is to do so and accommodate the fill in the blank  type for multiple and tables. Assuming no one on the team gets covid, or otherwise unable to work, we're anticipating they will be done with the migration work. (insert laugh/sob face emoji)

@KevinHowland Yes, we recognize that this would be an unreasonable thing to ask. On the Sunset timeline, Blueprint Syncing is listed as a milestone commitment. We would not proceed without that delivery and dates would be reassessed. 

@anf107 We are planning on maintaining quiz content in the database for many years. I have not communicated an exact number of years because I know we'd rightly be held accountable to it. I'm big on accountability and frankly haven't had the time to perform a quality analysis of the variances in retention time needed. All this to say the classic quiz as a source will exist for many years so that this migration process could be ongoing and on demand.

That's all I've got for today, but will be back. Thanks for sharing!

gouldt
Community Contributor

Thanks for clarifying. I understand that testbanks will be automatically migrated to item banks, at some point. Do you know when that will be available? Will the link to the quiz remain?

I didn't see any information about groups. Right now, I believe, we are not able to migrate to new quizzes if they contain questions in groups, Is that still the case, or is this a non-issue?

One of my biggest concerns has to do with the ownership of the item banks. While I understand that an admin will be able to see all of the item banks, there are still going to be times when instructors create item banks, and don't name them with any meaningful information, like course ID. We've had multiple cases over the years where we needed to share testbanks with new instructors, which was easy to do, just add them to the course. Now, I'm not sure how we will be able to track down who the owner is, or find the test if the naming is not specific. Do you have any plans for improving the management of the item banks?

Thanks for continuing to keep us updated. I am still a little confused about the timelines. We plan to begin working on migrating quizzes soon, and will start with the simple ones, but I would like to work out the bugs and know what we're getting into before we start the more complicated quizzes.

rexj
Community Participant

I am wondering if it is possible for Canvas to generate a report that will tell us how many and which courses are using Classic Quizzes? Is it possible that this report could list the instructors as well? I am interested in this to gauge how much disruption there may be if we enable New Quizzes.

Background: We are coming from Moodle. In that system we could see a list of activities with the total number of instances of that activity in the LMS. From there we could drill down to a list of courses that contained that activity. This helped us evaluate the impact of coming updates, etc.

Thank you!

cvalle
Community Participant

Is there any update on the timeline for the new RCE to be implemented in new quizzes? This is the main thing preventing me from fully adopting new quizzes as I cannot display matrices at the moment.

joe_fahs
Community Participant

@SuSorensen ,

Many publishers (McGraw-Hill, Cengage, and others) provide QTI formatted test banks that do not meet the New Quizzes import standard (QTI 1.2 or 2.1). What are the options to address publisher test banks formatted in legacy QTI format?  Publishers are slow to change. Currently, they can only be imported into Classic Quizzes.

Secondly, will there be an option (not the automatic migration on course import or copy) to migrate a Question Bank directly to an Item Bank?

Thank you.

Jul_Cro
Community Participant

@rexj I found a workaround with the Course Quiz Export report. It gives the last date of quiz submission. There are duplicate quiz IDs so I used a Pivot table to get the unique Quiz IDs. We have 333 used in Spring of 2021. The course SIS ID is listed too, so if I work with other reports we have access to, I could compile a faculty listing and course listing of those who use Canvas classic quizzes, but that seems like a bunch of work for little payoff. Now that I think more, I guess targeted emails with details about specifics for that group of users is a good idea... so like maybe take all the reports from Fall 2020 - Spring 2022, get the instructor information for them, create an email list, and really pound them with communication about the migration/switch over while keeping the rest of faculty aware, but not so many emails... hmmm good things to think about. 

What are you thinking about doing? 

Jul_Cro
Community Participant

@SuSorensen , when will the interface no longer be an "External Tool" we want to start training but I am worried that the interface will change right after I train faculty one way. 

Thanks for your help! 

rexj
Community Participant

@Jul_Cro Thanks for the tip! Do you mean that you pulled reports from each course and then compiled?

Yes, it may be a bit of work, but I am thinking of doing what you talk about. WE are early into adopting Canvas so the list of faculty may be smaller. I want to be able to target messages to those who will be most affected.

BrandiGranett
Community Explorer

I am so grateful for this feature: 

If you use the Settings → Course Copy, all Classic Quizzes in the origination course will automatically migrate to a New Quiz in the copy process. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically. Course relationship to the bank maintained.

Jul_Cro
Community Participant

@rexj Actually, it's an account report. I pulled it at my college's account level. canvas quiz storage report.png

Here is a snapshot of the resulting file: 

The first column contains the id for who submitted, the second which course it was in, third the Canvas course id, then the quiz ID shows actually which quiz it was. There are some duplicates, but if you filter those out you are left with the number of courses that used quizzes over a time period and THEN using another report you can attach instructor information to the course ID. 

excel view canvas quiz export.png

So you do get one massive report on all quizzes used per semester - or you can choose not to set a term and get all quiz submissions ever completed in your account. Here is the Canvas guide How do I view reports for an account?

Weirdly, I do not see this report in the Canvas Default Account Reports PDF Maybe check with your Canvas rep to see if it is available. 

samuel_heer
Community Participant

Dear @SuSorensen Thanks for your answer and your great engagement in this regard!

Side note:

Another feature that I will sorely miss in New Quizzes is the moderation of time of in-progress quizzes. Currently, according to the guides, it is only possible to give time extensions for future attempts, in-progress attempts cannot be extended. However, this is a functionality we often need, because sometimes technical problems occur during exams and we want to give individual students more time.

Very sad that many features from the old quiz tool have not been included in the new one. It's hard to understand...

Cheers

BethCrook
Community Contributor

@samuel_heer That is a very valid and important point!  Thank you for mentioning this!

hesspe
Community Champion

@samuel_heer  Re: the moderation of time of in-progress quizzes.

I agree that this is a function that will be missed.  I thought it might be mitigated somewhat by the ability to Reopen a quiz (under moderate), however in my testing, it seems that if the Until date or the time limit has passed, you can't reopen the quiz for a student, which limits its usefulness severely.  Does anyone else have different information?  And even if this worked, I find I get a bit annoyed by new quizzes workaround suggestions for features that exist in classic quizzes.  Workarounds should not be necessary.

ldietz
Community Explorer

@SuSorensen , this:
Copy Course from one to another (Master, Sandbox Course, Blueprint or Single Course)

If you use the Settings → Course Copy, all Classic Quizzes in the origination course will automatically migrate to a New Quiz in the copy process. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically. Course relationship to the bank maintained."

is NOT happening/working right now. I have tried different ways and it just doesn't work. I don't understand why.

I have copied a course, imported a course after creating one, and the Question Banks do not automatically migrate/transfer to/as Item Banks.

So far, the only thing one can do is: Create a Quiz (normal one) with ALL the questions from a question bank (selecting all, 60 or more questions). Then on Quizzes, Migrate to New Quizzes. Once it is a New Quiz, I have to click on each question in order to add it to an Item Bank. 

It takes the fun of doing much, since I thought that this would migrate all the Question Banks into Item Banks automatically. 

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi @ldietz, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. These are ideas about how we are thinking migration would be best. We are looking for feedback but it isn't currently available as described. You can expect content migration tools to be completed as part of our Phase 1 milestone commitment to customers.

rexj
Community Participant

@Jul_Cro I looked into the report you shared. It is not a standard report and unfortunately is cost-prohibitive for us.

crouch
Community Participant

@rexj I don't see the report in our Admin Account reports, either.  You stated it is cost-prohibitive for you. Where do you purchase the report or is it a package of reports that must be purchased together? 

rexj
Community Participant

@crouch I contacted our CSM team. This is a stand-alone report.  

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I know everyone is anxious to hear more specifics about which additional features can be expected and when. The plan is to hit our milestone commitment related to quiz migration (outlined above) and the most impactful API needs first. Once these commitments are available in beta, I will share more granularity about what is ahead.   

@aaron_bahmer That's what we're thinking too, that regardless of the method of importing content it should move the quiz and any bank to the new quizzes and item banks. @TamasBalogh has been talking with Respondus about their API needs to support the second point (also @rmcochran@Chris_Hofer). 

@gouldt With our current plan (which seems to be a concept which works well for the majority of users here!) we would migrate question banks to item banks as part of our overall migration. That's on the roadmap now.  We imagine administrators will begin turning it on in their beta environments to try it out at the start of 2022! The engineers are doing this backend support right now, but I'm still working on the user experience discovery. You can message me here if you are open to meeting to talk about the question bank migration. 

@joe_fahs This initial migration work will move question banks within one of the workflows above but not just the bank on demand. You could use the (somewhat cumbersome) process of exporting the classic quiz QTI and importing into... We're still investigating how often banks may need to be migrated outside of the normal quiz migration process. 

I definitely understand that publishers are slow to change and we're brainstorming the different ways we might go about grabbing the content and moving it into new quizzes. For the time being, to make sure you can get the content,  you'll be able to continue editing classic quizzes until the Phase 3 date. Not ideal, i know, but at least you can get the content into canvas and move it to your new quiz. We'll keep thinking about how it might be supported in the future. 

@samuel_heer and @BethCrook I'm going to be a bit vulnerable here and overshare. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the bum.
Honestly. This one breaks my heart. I did have the team look into this as soon as I was made aware. Unfortunately, the initial assumptions built into the architecture were that quizzes should not be modified while they were underway. I believe the intention was good and they were thinking about student equity, but it was short sighted. Now we'll need to make a series of adjustments to make it possible to change an in progress attempt. We've started those initial steps, but I don't want to set expectation until we're further along. 

isabel_anievas
Community Participant

Thanks for the updates and detailed responses to all questions! They are very much appreciated!

I teach Spanish and I would like to start migrating to New Quizzes but I have two main concerns before doing so.

My first concern is whether the New Quizzes editor will eventually have the same functionality that the New Rich Content Editor does.

Like other Language Faculty, I have come to rely heavily on Canvas Studio videos (both in the Instructions and the questions sections of Classic Quizzes) and I have also been routinely recording my own media directly into my Classic Quizzes.

My second concern is whether future migration tools will be able to handle media heavy classic quizzes better than the current ones do (or seem to do, in my limited experience).

I have tried several of the recommended options for migrating Classic Quizzes into New Quizzes but, as far as I can tell, my Canvas Studio Videos and other media recordings do not show up in my migrated quizzes (neither in the instructions nor in the questions).

Will future migration tool be able to handle the media in my current Classic quizzes and allow me to migrate them without losing the video and media embedded in both instructions and questions?

And can we expect New Quizzes to eventually have the full functionality of the new rich content editor, so that we can continue to embed Canvas Studio Videos with their full functionality (on screen quizzes, comments, details, etc.) in newly created Quizzes and continue to directly record media into questions and instructions?

I am not sure if we have an answer to these questions yet, but if we don't, I would still appreciate knowing that we don't 🙂

To be honest, I am find myself being reluctant to continue to create new content in Classic Quizzes, knowing that it might be difficult to migrate, but at the same time, I am also hesitant to switch to New Quizzes right away, since I find that they do not currently meet my pedagogical needs as well as Classic Quizzes do. 

So, I am hoping to get some help here 🙂

Should I wait with the hope that New Quizzes will eventually come equipped with a full editor (one that hopefully allows us to also embed Canvas Studio videos with their full functionality: comments, on screen quizzes, captions, etc.?

Or should I just jump in and get started with New Quizzes now and try to figure out how to rethink the way I teach my classes without the same editor functionality I have come to rely upon?

I am not sure if I am bringing up these issues in the right Forum, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 😊

szabarovska
Community Contributor

I am joining the conversation today! I have a few items that have been brought to my attention while diving into and training our faculty on New Quizzes. Any information on the following is greatly appreciated!🙂

1) Our instructors heavily use question banks - this option allowed them to pull the desired number of questions out of each question bank and then assign the point value as well-all in one easy step. Right now, I have not figured out a way for this option in New Quizzes.

2) Can someone please provide the link for the QB tool transfer to New Quizzes timeline? When will that tool be available to make the process easier.

3) The following options are also not available in New Quizzes:

• Open and close correct answers with specific dates 
  • Allow student to only view once

Is this in the works?

breklis
Community Participant

Several of our instructors are migrating their classic Canvas quizzes to New Quizzes to prepare for the switchover to New Quizzes next year.  If the classic quiz contained an image or diagram, the image or diagram is not appearing in the New Quiz. 

Please fix this feature.  Having to recreate everything with an image is not reasonable.

Thank you!

crouch
Community Participant

We administer a Spanish Placement Exam to 4000+ students during spring-fall orientation periods. The quiz has a unique scoring system that is not supported in NQ plus 2/3 of the 93 questions have an audio file or image attached to it. 

The Classic Quiz is in a course with No Term. We do not anticipate making any edits to it next year. We do use the Moderate Quiz feature to give extra time and attempts.  Can we continue to administer this exam in Classic Quizzes until it is retired in the summer of 2023?  The only change to the course will be the addition of students who register to take the exam. 

Thanks,

kroeninm
Community Champion

Sorry if this has already been asked but in heavily thinking through migration this week I thought I'd probe for a bit more details on the migration paths that are being developed.

In past upgrades/migrations related to our LMS, our goal has always been to work with faculty to always improve as you move.  As I think through this change, I also am thinking of improvements possible during the transition.  Part of the improvements will be related to training on designing good assessment questions, freshening up questions and quizzes along the way, using new question and quiz options, but part ideally is smoothly migrating only what is needed and not carrying over duplicate banks/quizzes and/or unneeded banks/quizzes.

Can you expand on what it means to transition "related banks" when it comes to migration?  As background - in my institution for our fully online courses (with the most quizzes and banks), we try to refresh them and rebuild them every 3-5 years but that's not always possible so along the way, often courses have more and more banks added to them as various instructors refresh and update exams over the years but do not remove them.  

So questions/feedback:

• Which banks would be automatically migrated in the migration options?  What does related banks mean?  All Question Banks or only those that are actively linked to a quiz that is published/unpublished?

• Would the dreaded "Unfiled" questions bank migrate over with every course, please no :)?

• Any plans to allow for a selection of banks to move by the faculty?  I'm assuming that if a faculty did a selective import as they copy over their contest, the faculty could do this with the existing migration being developed but wasn't sure.

• I think it's already mentioned above but how might Question Groups transfer over - as single questions and then we regroup into banks or will they move into banks?

Thanks!  Feel free to reach out if you have questions, we definitely have courses that have have been ongoing for years.

Melanie

joe_fahs
Community Participant

We would like to encourage instructors to start using New Quizzes for their Spring 2022 courses (start in January). However, they have publisher QTI’s that only import as Classic Quizzes Question Banks. Following up on your response

"@joe_fahs This initial migration work will move question banks within one of the workflows but not just the bank on demand. You could use the (somewhat cumbersome) process of exporting the classic quiz QTI and importing into... We're still investigating how often banks may need to be migrated outside of the normal quiz migration process."

and the planned process for copying courses with Classic Quizzes:

"Already have a previous course you want to keep using in the future?

• If you use the Settings → Course Copy, all Classic Quizzes in the origination course will automatically migrate to a New Quiz in the copy process. Related Question Banks migrate to Item Banks automatically. Course relationship to the bank maintained."
I have these questions:

When copying a course from one to another must there be Classic Quizzes linked to Question Banks for the banks to be converted to Item Banks in the target course? Imports of publisher exported QTI's may include only the Question Banks (not Classic Quizzes) and in some cases, the Question Banks AND the equivalent Classic Quizzes but the latter are not linked. 

If a Classic Quiz must be linked to a Question Bank for both to migrate to New Quizzes assessments and Items Banks in the target course, would it be possible as a workaround to create a single Classic quiz that links questions to all the Question Banks in the course (each bank linked to a separate Question Group in the quiz)? That way if the single quiz is copied all the banks would be migrated during the course copy?

I might have missed your response somewhere. It is possible to directly convert a New Quizzes assessment to an Item Bank?

Must a course copy include all content or can the Classic Quiz and Question Bank content be selectively copied for the migration to work?

Thank you,

Joe Fahs
douglas_rolley
Community Explorer

Here are links to the two New Quizzes issues that I believe are essential for teachers and should be fixed before sunsetting Classic Quizzes:

New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Dashboard-To-Do/idc-p/492767#M5788...

New Quizzes Grading Indication
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Grading-Indication/idc-p/407653#M3...

I have had teachers try New Quizzes, tell me they love what they can do with them, then tell me they are no longer using them because of these two issues.

Thank you,

Doug Rolley

elugo
Community Explorer

We are using new quizzes but I don't see a way to export the outcome analysis like I usually do when using classic quizzes. Would they be adding the export report to new quizzes?

SuSorensen
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For those of you interested in Outcomes alignment of migrated quizzes, please provide feedback for the Outcomes PM here: Input Opportunity: Classic to New Quiz Outcome Alignment Migration

elugo
Community Explorer

When a student takes an assessment using New Quizzes it doesn't show on the "to do list" for the faculty like classic quizzes does. How soon would this feature be available?