ssimpso4's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Add a Section Filter on People roster

Most K-12 courses in Canvas have multiple sections nested within one course. At secondary level, that can be up to 180+ students that appear in the People roster list. In remote learning settings, it...

08-09-2020

Add 'Comments' Field to Google Cloud Assignment Submission

As described here (access Formative Feedback via Canvas course), the Comments field that learners see when submitting assignments in Canvas is a highly valuable, if currently overlooked, mechanism to...

12-05-2017

Empower Users to Determine Their Next Learning Steps

I recently reconfigured what was initially a PLC reflection rubric that I utilized with history teachers (in a previous life) into a Canvas Usage Reflection rubric. The idea was to blend the core ...

12-04-2017

Pear Deck

Pear Deck is a tool that allows each student in a class to connect to an interactive presentation on any device, answer questions, etc. How does Pear Deck Work? - YouTube    We lic...

10-12-2017

Ensure Quality Online Professional Learning Courses

...earning courses in our school district. If you are interested, you can access the session presentation in a publicly-visible Canvas course. Access the course. As an aside, there were many, m...

09-28-2017

Summer Learning Courses: Take the Keys!

...y enrolled learners in discussions, quizzes, etc.), I've created stand-alone, public-facing versions of each so that any user who was unable to attend can at least access the sessions' resources. P...

08-29-2017

SIS: TEAMS (Prologic)

As a  Canvas admin in a PK-12 district in Texas that uses a SIS called TEAMS, I wanted to create a discussion that could serve to facilitate communication between TEAMS and Canvas users going fo...

05-01-2017

Doin' It Right?

Context Not only does Daft Punk have a song called Doin' It Right, it features (and this is not a lie) an artist known as Panda Bear. Have a listen to the irresistible track on YouTube.  Now...

04-26-2017

Issue w/ Publicly-Visible Courses? Blame Mastery Paths (for now)

Context We use publicly visible courses for three primary reasons:  To allow us to use Canvas for training and/or professional learning purposes with a variety of audiences while not r...

04-19-2017

Canvas as TV Drama

For whatever reason, I view the underlying tension in this thread (Idea System Broken?) as similar to that of a great TV series.   Here's a great one, by the way, that you may have miss...

04-19-2017

'App'reciation for Lessons Learned

Context For me, Canvas Trivia was a total disaster this week. While I have the Android Canvas (by Instructure) and Speedgrader apps on my mobile phone and I have all available apps on my iPad,...

04-07-2017

I Can See Clearly Now (I've Cleared My Cache)!

Context Anyone supporting Canvas users for awhile has discovered the need to frequently troubleshoot issues in response to vague statements like, "Things don't look right" or "I can't see it." There...

04-04-2017

Create a Global Announcements Archive!

...f it has disappeared? Suggested Workaround In Arlington ISD, I've added a publicly-visible course titled 'Global Announcements Archive' as a custom link in our Canvas Help Menu. It looks l...

03-31-2017

Student's Course Analytics Visible via Grades, in addition to People

To the best of my understanding, the only way a student can view their 'Analytics' in any course is by: ...

07-05-2016

Quiz grades as percentages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas "I would like to have a QUIZ OPTION to record quiz scores as a percentage in the grade book rather than a score out of possible points. I ...

04-17-2015

Hot spot question type

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas     My comment: Hotspot question type should be an internally available quiz question type, without the need for a LTI-int...

04-17-2015

Use Rich-Text Editor in Instructor Comments on Quiz Answers

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...   Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

04-17-2015

New Quizzes: Likert-scale question type as ready-option

The existing work-around for creating Likert Scale questions, as described below How do I create Likert scale quiz questions? is cumbersome and overly complex for the average user.   Link to...

04-17-2015