In this post I'm compiling a list of feature ideas that relate the new quiz tool so I can keep track of them. I want to thank everyone who created a feature idea about the new quiz tool. This has been very helpful for me. I want to get each person credit for the feature idea posted. I apologize if you receive multiple notifications about this blog post. I am hoping that this list helps to bring these issues to surface so more people can discuss why these feature ideas are important. Currently, new quizzes is a feature option in the course settings. If you don't see new quizzes in the list of feature options in the course settings, then your institution has not made it available yet. View the following resources to learn more about new quizzes.
- New Quizzes Group - This group includes timeline information and additional information about new quizzes.
- New Quizzes Guides - The guides help you learn how to create quizzes and migrate content.
- New Quiz Migration Options - I created this post because there are a couple of different ways you can migrate quizzes and there are pros and cons to each way. Also, choosing a migration option is dependent on how you use the current quiz tool.
So here is the list. I decided not to included feature ideas that have been marked completed. You can see a list of completed feature ideas from the Idea page in the Canvas Community. As ideas below get completed, I will mark them in the list below. I know I didn't get all of them so please post feature ideas in the comments and I will add them to the list.
Feature Ideas about Integration with Canvas Interface
There were several in this list that I was not aware of that I find troublesome. For me currently, the module back and next buttons are much needed. Many of our faculty like to use requirements and prerequisites and when students land on a new quiz page, this breaks the flow for students moving to the next item in the module.
- New Quizzes: Dashboard To Do - by Kassie Calvo on Aug 28, 2019
- Module Icon for Quizzes.Next - created by Hildi Pardo on Apr 9, 2019
- Add Quiz/Test in + Assignments Groups - created by Layne Heiny on Jun 22, 2019
- Canvas Data - Quizzes.Next - created by Joni Miller on Jul 18, 2018
- Allow Quizzes.Next assessment to be initial assessment for Mastery Paths - created by Keith Sollers on Oct 26, 2018
- New Quiz Tool: When editing Quiz title, the Quiz Title should sync on Build Tab - created by Susan Nugent on Sep 6, 2019
- New Quizzes: Next button for Module Progression - created by Gaylen Jensen on Jul 23, 2019
Permissions in New Quiz Tool
I am glad to see the item bank sharing option now available but I don't like that all people who have been given access to the item bank have the same read/write access. I am hoping that permissions with item bank sharing can become more granular.
- Restrict edit access on Quizzes.Next - created by Terianne Hall on Mar 4, 2019
- Add permission for New Quizzes Item Bank Sharing - created by Suzy Jackson on Jul 23, 2019
Feature Ideas about Question Types and Creating Questions
There are lots of great feature ideas listed below. I love creativity of all the ideas. One area of new quizzes that Instructure folks have been pretty quiet about is surveys. I would love to know more about what will be available for surveys. Hint! Hint!
One thing I do want to point out is that the rich content editor in the new quiz tool is not the same as the as rich content editor that is currently available in the production instance of Canvas. It is also important to note that there is a new rich content editor that is available in beta. I hoping that when the new editor becomes available in production that there will be consistency across all tools. You can learn more about the new rich content editor at the link below.
New Question Types
- New Quizzes.Next Question Type: Graphing Questions - created by Aaron Ayres on Apr 30, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Multiple Choice Formula Questions - created by Raymond Rowe on Mar 6, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Likert-scale question type as ready-option - created by Stephen Simpson on Apr 17, 2015
- New Quizzes new question type: Audio recording - created by Matt McGinniss on Apr 5, 2017
- Change Question Type in Quizzes.Next - created by Rebecca Moulder on Apr 4, 2019
- New Quizzes: Add Media Recording to Text Editor - created by Katie Jones on Jan 30, 2019
Multiple Choice Question Type
Matching Question Type
- Partial Credit for Matching Questions in Quizzes.Next - created by Robert Yoder on Sep 6, 2018
- New Quizzes: Rich Content Editor (RCE) for Matching Question Types - created by Elizabeth (Online Learning) Jackson on Jul 8, 2015
Formula Question Type
- New Quizzes: Increase functionality of variables in formula questions - created by Dan Grilley on Aug 27, 2019
Numerical Question Type
Hot Spot Question Type
Essay Question Type
- Quizzes.Next: Rich content editor for Grading Notes - created by Daniel Skutt on Jun 13, 2019
Fill-In-Blank Question Type
- Allow New Quizzes fill in the blanks to have multiple banks on different lines - created by Amy Boom on Sep 13, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Option to NOT allow partial credit for fill-in-multiple-blanks questions - created by Mieke Hoing on Apr 30, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Treat curly and straight quotes the same for fill-in-the-blank questions - created by James Ashby on May 9, 2019
File Upload Question Type
- Grading notes for File Upload questions in Quizzes.Next - created by Julie Karas on Jun 25, 2019
Outcomes and New Quizzes
Questions and Item Banks
It seems organization tools are lacking in the new quiz tool. I feel organizational features are super critical for faculty because it saves them time. Time is precious when you teach.
- Quizzes.Next: pull more questions from a group than are in the group or bank - created by Bill Chandler on Apr 24, 2019
- New Quizzes: SubFolders for Item Banks - created by NATHAN BLACKNER on May 31, 2016
- New Quizzes: Bulk Add tags to questions - created by Susan Nugent on Apr 2, 2019
- New Quizzes: Allow item banks to be tied to a course rather than an instructor - created by Dan Grilley on Jul 17, 2019
- New Quizzes: Sort the Item Banks - created by Derrill Watson on Sep 23, 2019
- New Quizzes: Search across all item banks - created by Layne Heiny on Aug 31, 2019
- New Quizzes: Selecting question-types from item banks - created by Jason Vance on Jun 6, 2019
Feature Ideas about Quiz Settings
The quiz settings have come a long way in the past year. There have been many releases that affect quiz settings but I feel it still needs to tweaked a bit more.
- Customizable Defaults for New Quizzes - created by Jonathan Looney on Aug 30, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Set Graded Quizzes to Practice - created by James Bryant on Jun 24, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Immediate feedback in quizzes - created by Kara Powder on Jan 25, 2018
- New Quizzes: Delayed Quiz/Exam Results - created by Brandon Risenhoover on Apr 29, 2019
- Quizzes.Next Quiz Settings - Limited Time to Review Quiz Questions After Submission - created by KARI JOHNSON on Mar 27, 2017
- New Quizzes: Adaptive Release for Quiz Responses - created by Erica Hill on Jul 17, 2019
- New Quizzes: Feedback for essay questions - created by kathy wright on Sep 16, 2019
- Exporting quizzes into Word or pdf documents - created by Desiree Devereaux-Heis on Oct 21, 2016
- Question Titles in Quizzes.Next - created by Lisa Risch on Nov 7, 2018
- Quizzes.Next: More control on number of quiz attempts - created by Muthu Venkateshwaran on Mar 1, 2019
- New Quizzes: Create the option of "First Attempt" as the "Quiz Score to Keep" when Allowing Multiple Attempts - created by Madlyn Huber on Jul 19, 2016
- New Quizzes: Automatic submission at the due datetime - created by John Navarro on Sep 26, 2019
- Quizzes.Next - Hide Access Code - created by Neal Legler on Oct 2, 2018
Student Experience Taking Quizzes
We only have a handful of teachers who are using the new quiz tool and so far no student complaints.
- Quizzes.Next: Add Strikethrough to Matching Answers Already Selected - created by Will Gibbs on May 14, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Option to eliminate choices during a multiple matching quiz - created by Maria Johnson on Feb 10, 2016
Moderation and Grading
Overall the new moderation options are nice and I like that the moderation options are with the quiz settings now. I feel the time moderation options are bit more confusing. Now there are two different places to adjust time for students. For some reason I missed this when it was released. It does offer more features so that is good. See the June 22, 2019 release notes.
- New Quizzes: Add Calculator to Student Accommodations - created by Elisabeth Wilkins on Sep 18, 2019
- Download All File Upload Submissions in Quizzes.Next - created by Rebecca Moulder on Jun 24, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Red Flag Cheating on Quizzes - created by Rosalie Metro on Mar 7, 2019
- New Quizzes: Show all attempts if manually graded and grades are averaged - created by Joressia Beyer on Sep 18, 2019
- New Quizzes: Quiz Review Report - created by Course Delivery Support on Aug 19, 2019
- New Quizzes: View Log-Student Leaves Quiz Tab - created by Jenny Rinehart on Aug 6, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Option to Grade Quiz Offline - created by Meena K on Mar 4, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Automatically Adjust Students' Scores as Percentage of Points Possible - created by Rebecca Moulder on Mar 25, 2019
- New Quizzes should not *automatically* grade written responses - created by Elizabeth Jetton on Jan 24, 2019
Feature Ideas about Quiz Analysis and Reports
It just needs to function at least as good as the current quiz tool analytics. I have one instructor who wants to be able to see which students missed an item and he can't in the new quiz tool. He also misses the download option.
- New Quizzes: Item Analysis Report Modifications - created by Cooper Remkes on Mar 12, 2019
- Quizzes.Next: Link Back in Reports to Question in Bank - created by Layne Heiny on Apr 8, 2019
- Download Quiz Statistics in Quizzes.next - created by Jeremy Bryan on Jan 11, 2019