cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Participant

Announcements discussion topics

I can see that announcements are created as discussion topics.  They don't actually create a discussion so why a discussion topic?  Are they listed anywhere?

Regards, Kerrie

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @330467 ...

Announcements have an option where you can allow or not allow comments/replies.  My guess is that you currently do not have this turned on in your course(s).  Please check out these Guides for further instruction:

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

Community Participant

Hello there,

Sorry, I don’t explain my question properly.  What I mean is, when you have a list of announcements that have been created visible on the screen, you see the word announcement in the URL.  When you open an announcement, this word is replaced by ‘discussion topics’.  This was confusing one of the lecturers.  I just told him that they are stored as discussion topics but I don’t know why.  Is there a reason for this and can they only be accessed from the Announcements list.

Best regards.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello again, @330467 ...

I'll admit that the same thing kind of threw me the first time I had seen the announcement/discussion wording as you've described, but I kind of forgot about it and moved on.  I don't work for Instructure, so I don't know the reasonings behind why course announcements work like they do (displaying the "discussion_topics" wording in the URL.  That will probably be something you'll need to contact Canvas Support about.

How do I contact Canvas Support? - Canvas Community

Hope this helps a bit.

Community Participant

No problem.  Thank you for your help and as you did, I'll forget about it for the time being.  At least it works, even though confusing.

Regards, Kerrie.