cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I allow students to like replies in a course announcement?

How do I allow students to like replies in a course announcement?

You can allow students to like replies in an announcement even if students are not allowed to reply to announcements. If an announcement allows liking, users will see a Like icon within each announcement reply. By default, liking is available to all users in the course; however, you can choose to restrict the option to graders only.

The Like icon is enabled on a per-assignment basis.

You can also like announcement replies as an instructor.

Open Announcements

Open Announcements

In Course Navigation, click the Announcements link.

Add Announcement

Click the Add Announcement button.

Allow Liking

Allow Liking

Click the Allow liking checkbox.

Set Liking Options

Set Liking Options

You can also select two additional options when allowing announcement likes.

Only graders can like [1]: select this checkbox if you want to limit the liking functionality to only graders in the course, which means only users with the Edit Grades permission can see the Like link. However, all users will still see the total number of likes for each reply.

Sort by likes [2]: select this checkbox if you want the announcement to sort replies by the number of likes. Sorting cannot be changed by any users unless you remove the sorting setting. This option may take at least 10 seconds to cache the page and view sorting appropriately.

Announcement replies are sorted in descending order.

Save Announcement

Save Announcement

Click the Save button.

Comments

This feature has a confusing aspect -- the option when you make an announcement is simply labeled "allow liking" instead of "allow reply liking" or "allow like button on reply posts" -- I've been researching for a faculty member why the like button wasn't showing up in their Announcements, and from reading the docs here it looks like only replies get the like button.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of that feature design decision, but regardless the label on the form should be changed to something that makes it clear that the instructor is enabling the like button for replies, not for the announcement itself (if I'm correct in my reading of the docs).

Also, since the course default for announcement replies is that they're disabled, shouldn't the "allow liking" checkbox either be disabled by default,  or show a message when clicked if "Disable comments on announcements" in course settings is checked that might need to be turned off?

Hi @phanley,

Thanks for sharing your perspective! Yes, currently allowing liking allows students to like replies to an announcement. If you'd like to suggest the changes you mentioned to Canvas, the best place to do that (as these comments are archived every several weeks) is in the Ideas Conversations space. There, you can create a new feature idea and other community members can show support for it by liking the idea and/or commenting on it. To learn more about creating a feature idea and the feature idea process, check out: How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? and How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community? 

As for your other concern about default announcement settings, I tested out adding a new announcement and the Allow Liking checkbox was disabled by default. Is that displaying differently for you? If it is, I'd recommend reporting that to Canvas Support. If you have any further question, feel free to reach out. 

Naomi

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: