cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aburke

Importing questions into question banks

Jump to solution

Hi,

I created a quiz, I think in Classic Canvas, and created question groups.  I thought these would automatically register as question banks, under "question banks" but they did not.  How do I import question groups from my quiz into question banks without having to retype them?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@aburke ‌

Question groups in Classic Quizzes only exist within the quiz in which they've been created and serve a specific purpose within that quiz; they do not persist outside of that quiz. However, the questions you've created in the quiz will populate an Unfiled Questions question bank.

This comprehensive discussion explains the difference and goes on to explain where to look in question banks for the quiz questions that were created directly in the quiz: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/25433 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@aburke ‌

Question groups in Classic Quizzes only exist within the quiz in which they've been created and serve a specific purpose within that quiz; they do not persist outside of that quiz. However, the questions you've created in the quiz will populate an Unfiled Questions question bank.

This comprehensive discussion explains the difference and goes on to explain where to look in question banks for the quiz questions that were created directly in the quiz: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/25433 

This link is dead. I would like to import my quiz questions into a question bank so could someone reply to this with a working link? TIA. Abigail

Hey Abigail,

Give me some time. I am working the same issue.

I have over 1500 questions that I am trying to import and I am fairly tech savy.

If I come up with a solution, I will post it here.

Did you find a solution to import questions into question groups?

I would love to import questions into question banks and still have into been able to figure it out. 

@abigail3 wrote:

I would love to import questions into question banks and still have into been able to figure it out. 

Good Morning @abigail3 

I am so sorry. I have not come up with a viable/easy solution that does not involve some sort of coding. 

My goal is to make it something simpler that even a new teacher would be able to utilize. 

I promise, the moment I get this figured out, I will post it here. 

yolanda_eaves

Here is the solution that I have found.

1. Export the Quiz (Settings --> Export Content --> Quiz)
  2. Leave the page open
  3. Wait for the process to finish; you will receive an email
  4. In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.
  5. In the drop-down menu, select the QTI .zip file option.
  6. Click the Choose File button.
  7. Find and click the ZIP file you want to import [1]. Click the Open button [2].
  8. In the Default Question bank drop-down menu, select the Question bank you want to use for your question bank.
  9. If you do not have a question bank you want to use, you can create a new question bank. In the drop-down menu, select the Create new question bank option.
  10. Click the Import button [1].  A progress indicator displays the upload status by percentage [2].

11. When the course has completed, view your quizzes by accessing the Quizzes page in Course Navigation.

Special Notes

• Your file will be imported as a test bank.
  • You can use the entire bank to create a new test or you can select specific questions.
  • Note that if you are uploading a textbook publisher’s questions banks that these are probably copyrighted and should be for your own use.

Source for Import directions with images: Canvas Guides How do I import quizzes from QTI packages?