cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a question bank in a course?

How do I create a question bank in a course?

Question Banks are a place to house questions that can be added to quizzes across courses or accounts.

Open Quizzes

Open Quizzes

In Course Navigation, click the Quizzes link.

Manage Question Banks

Manage Question Banks

Click the Options icon [1] and click the Manage Question Banks link [2].

Add Question Bank

Add Question Bank

Click the Add Question Bank button.

Create Question Bank

Create Question Bank

Name the question bank and press Return (on a Mac keyboard ) or Enter (on a PC keyboard).

Open Question Bank

Open Question Bank

Open the question bank by clicking the title of the question bank.

Question Bank Options

Question Bank Options

After opening the Question Bank, you can:

1. Add a Question
  2. Edit Question Bank Details
  3. Move Multiple Questions  
  4. Delete Question Bank
  5. Verify Question Bank Bookmark (by default new Question Banks are bookmarked automatically)
  6. Align Outcomes

Add a Question

Click the Add a Question button.

Create New Questions

Add as many individual questions as you wish to your question bank. Click the Update Question button to save your changes.

View Questions

View the questions in your question bank. To view question details, click the Show Question Details checkbox.

Now you can reference this single bank of questions in many different quizzes.

Note: Questions details are not available in question banks with more than 50 questions.

Comments

How does the "Move multiple questions" work? Every time I try it to see how it works, a message appears that it is not possible to do the operation.

Is it possible to combine several question banks to build a new quizz? Thanks

Ricardo Fernandez

@ricardo_fernand 

If the "Move multiple questions" feature doesn't work according to the directions here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-move-multiple-questions-from-one-questi... then I recommend reaching out to our Canvas Support team for help troubleshooting why it's not working for you (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-get-help-with-Canvas-as-an-instructor/t... ).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "combine several question banks to build a new quiz", but yes it's possible to use questions from multiple question banks when creating your quiz, if that's what you're asking about. If not, can you please clarify so we can help answer your question?

Thanks,

- Nathan

I don't know if this helps. But, I recently imported a quiz from Commons. Once I opened up the quiz and opened each question (but made no changes). I was prompted to Update/Replace. I noticed those questions I opened were in a bank called Unfiled. From there, I created new item banks. Then, under the Unfiled bank when I selected Move multiple items I could select what I wanted and check the box for the bank I wanted to move them.

I am creating a Question Bank for a course and trying to use the equation editor for the possible answers for Multiple Choice & Multiple Answers.  When I select on the edit (looks like a pencil), nothing happens.  I use this function in Quizzes often without issue.  Why doesn't it seem to work within Question Banks?

Hi @d_anderson2

Thanks for reaching out. I'm not entirely sure why you might not be able to edit your question banks. Are these banks that you've already created with math equation questions? You might want to log out of Canvas, clear your browser cache and cookies, then log in and try again. If that still doesn't work, I'd recommend reaching out to Canvas Support to report your experience. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else we can help with. 

Thanks, 
Allie 

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
a week ago
Updated by: