Unsubmitted assignments getting zeroes added incorrectly in Canvas

Jump to solution
EvanDonovan
Community Participant

Unsubmitted assignments are being assigned a zero in our Canvas gradebook, lowering some students’ current grades to an incorrect percentage. However, this is only happening for some students on certain assignments. Also, I don’t believe it is happening in all our currently-active courses.

The assignments that are getting zeroes:

1. Have not yet submitted by the students
  2. Are not yet past their due date

We have assignments set to automatically get a zero if they are past their due date, but since these assignments are due on future dates, I don’t think that could be the problem here.

Does anyone know what might be happening here, and how to resolve the issue?

It is a serious problem for us because students and faculty are asking why the grades are incorrect. The only way we know how to fix is to manually delete all the zeroes, which is too time-consuming. Also, after we did that, they were added again.

We also filed a ticket directly to Canvas with more specific details, but sometimes in the past we have gotten quicker responses from this forum, so I wanted to ask here also.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
dinhkt
Community Member

Hi everyone, this happens to me when I copy over a course and forget to change the due date from one semester to another. Canvas automatically assignments 0 to assignments and will not change it back even when you change the due date. 

There is a way to fix this but you have to do this for all assignments. Go to your grades tab. There is a 3 dot icon to the right of each assignment. Click on that and select "Set Default Grade." Leave the box blank, and check the box that says "Over-write already entered grades" and click "Set Default Grade."

If there are real scores from students, and not just "0," you will also over write that score. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post