cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordan
Instructure
Instructure

COURSE HACK NIGHT (instcon15)

Invite your colleagues and new instcon friends to join you by clicking the Share link on the right. If you are on a phone/tablet and don’t see a Share link, hold your device in landscape mode to see the share option. And tweet about it! #instcon#coursehacknight

COURSE HACK NIGHT

Course Hack Night is back, by popular demand! This event is for anyone interested in taking Canvas course design to the next octave. Instructure employees from our Community and Training team will be present along with long time Canvas users to help new(er) Canvas course designers and teachers find, and use built-in Canvas features and external educational tools (LTI apps).

DIGITAL BADGE

Want to make the most of this event? Click to learn more!

HACK NIGHT

(Click ^ link to jump to this event)

This is the event where programmers, engineers, LMS admins, app developers, and other nerds collaborate to squash bugs, fix things, make them better, you know… hack Canvas. Since this is right after dinner you’ll probably be full, but there will be a cash bar if you’re thirsty! Visit the Hack Night event to see who's coming and join the conversation!

Location Map: KOKOPELLI BALLROOM (Grand Summit)

Login to "Add a comment" below!

35 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

I can't wait for tomorrow night!  Last year we had about 20 instructional designers, OER advocates and Canvas power users show up, as well as about an equal number of people relatively new to Canvas and looking for pointers - lots of fun.  Hope to see you there.

biray
Community Champion

@jperkins ​ is diving into Canvas Style Guide​ with some of the course hack night. It's a deep dive into the accordion. Smiley Happy

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

tonysharpsteen

I learned that you can find coupons for tattoos and I found a fast way to replicate a page.

mfgu
Community Contributor

I am sitting here learning about the faculty journal... wondering why I don't have this...LOL

What a wonderful experience this is being at Course Hack night.  I am learning so much.

shauna_vorkink
Community Contributor

Hack Night is such a great tradition of InstCon - if you haven't ever been to one drop in tonight Smiley Happy  So much fun and synergy sitting around a table talking about Canvas after a long day of Canvas.... rejuvenate for tomorrow. 

JGarton
Community Contributor

I participated in the Course Hack Night and loved collaborating with other Canvas users and meeting the Community Super Stars.

amber_hainline
Community Member

I have so much to learn! I'm impressed with the coders setting at my table and I'm jealous! I want those skills--hello summer activities! Smiley Happy

mjennings
Advocate

Good times & good conversation. awesomepanda​

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

@mfgu  are you still at HackNight? I'd like to join this conversation!

emily_beckman
Community Contributor

the burning question has been Why Pandas? We just got the answer.

cfierro
Community Contributor

Had a blast collaborating with Deactivated user​ and Deactivated user​ re OER and Canvas Commons.

brueckert
Community Champion

@jperkins ​ is a Style Guide beast. I learned a ton at Hack Night this year and had a ton of fun in the process.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Had an amazing time working with  @mmaya ​ in brainstorming the design of a professional design space for instructors!  Best of luck Maurea and it was so fun to visit with you!  Glad we could make more work for MLentini​!

brueckert
Community Champion

At Hack Night I ALSO learned that the state of Utah mandates 1.5 oz pours of Scotch; not a drop more.

wjames
Community Contributor

Great Hack Night!  Lots of innovative solutions....thanks Canvas Crew!

lenaya_hogan

I had fun at course hack night!  I accidentally walked into hack night first, saw all of the code, then found course hack night (more my speed!)  Everyone was so nice and friendly.  What a great way to collaborate!  Thanks all 🙂

tankovpa
Community Contributor

I got to learn a bit about Java coding from Ken. I stretched my brain a little bit, but enjoyed the exercise. I also was able to talk with other course folks and hopefully was able to add a little bit to others understandings and options.

I'll post my secret selfie with Ken here.

20150617_203508.jpg

sbastian

Met some fantastic people at Course Hack Night - only wish I had more time! (But I was busy catching a limited edition pink Canvas shirt outside!).

Connecting with "my people" is invaluable. How awesome to not have to censor my geekiness! Woot!

Also got to introduce Toby Murray from Kansas State to the new Canvas Community! Yay!

amber_hainline
Community Member

*sitting. Oh bother. Thanks for a great night!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I enjoyed the same! It was great to bounce ideas off of people. Collaboration is awesome. You never know who will have the (miracle) answer to a Canvas, PD, or pedagogy question!!

ksauber
Community Member

Thank you so much to all of the brilliant minds at Hack Night!   @scottdennis ​ and Deactivated user​, thank you so much for walking me through sub-accounts at the K-12 level! 

carrie
Instructure
Instructure

I found Deactivated user​ and  @biray ​ working on a Google App created by another Canvas user (Josh Blumberg) who was sitting over at the other side of #hacknight. So when they got stuck, they got up and walked over to talk to him. Cool!

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Had some really cool conversations at Course Hack Night, including a great way to use CanvasBadges for specific teacher-awarded badges (thanks to  @clong ​).  I wish I had comer earlier in the night!  Such a great event!!

G_Petruzella
Community Champion

Several of us who are active here in the Jive community ( @kona  , awilliams , Deactivated user , ...) had a table to answer questions about the #CanvasCommunity 2.0 - how-tos to strategies for staying involved to finding resources to bringing faculty in. We even had a sign. 🙂image.jpg

bowmanr
Community Champion

@G_Petruzella ​

Ask you anything?  That is a mighty big door.  As for questions, the following would be for the ideas area - anyway to modify the interface so that for each individual user, the light bulbs are yellow for ideas they have not voted for, green for up votes on ideas and red for down vote on ideas.

have fun.  I really wish I were there instead of here - for one it is probably much cooler.

Image result for sad panda gif

Ron

jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

Totally Agree!

jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

I was glad to able to work with you last night! Don't hesitate to share the product of the things we learned!

skowlaski

Great to meet people and work on items

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

I tried clicking on lovejive​ but I just got dry marker on my finger.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hey Ron,

Unfortunately that isn't something we can configure in the current platform.  Good idea though.  For anyone reading; you can see a red or green up or down triangle next to the vote count in an idea when you have previously voted on it.

kmcgee
Instructure
Instructure

Kristen I'm so glad we got to meet. It validated the need for our team to

dig deeper into understanding the structure of sub-accounts and make sure

we can create a great sharing experience for our users. Thank you for

sharing!

Kate McGee | Commons Product Manager

<http://instructure.com/>

<http://www.canvaslms.com/>

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:44 PM, Kristen Sauber <instructure@jiveon.com>

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I had a great time at course hack night and loved meeting a number of people from the community in person! There really isn't much cooler than connecting with someone face-to-face and feel like you already know them because you've been talking and sharing with them so much in the community forums!

Course hack night was also a good chance to connect and collaborate with people and I look forward to continuing some of our discussions in the community!

adam_b_nemeroff

I talked a lot and had two margaritas!  Is that hacking?... if it is, I killed it!

Also Toby and my Texan friends were great.  So many great conversations.  I totally stole Toby's idea for the course photo roster to modify our campus version!

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Ditto Kona,

I think I spent about half the time with people I interact with regularly in the community and about half with new people - the best mix I could hope for I think.

bdoran
Community Contributor

A HUGE "Thank-You" to our engineer cody​ for working with my friend  @amcdona ​ to help with an issue that had been plaguing them for months!!  HackNight is where dreams come true!