Assignments include Quizzes, graded Discussions, and online submissions (i.e. files, images, text, URLs, etc.). Assignments in Canvas can be used to challenge students' understanding and help assess competency by using a variety of media. The Assignments page shows students all of the Assignments that will be expected of them and how many points each is worth.
Assignments can be assigned to everyone in the course or differentiated by section or user.
The Assignments page supports keyboard shortcuts. Press the comma key and a pop-up window with keyboard shortcuts will appear for keyboard navigation.
Any assignment created and published in the Assignments page will automatically show up in the Grades, Calendar, and Syllabus features so students can view them. The reverse is also true: any assignments created in the Calendar will automatically show up in the Grades, Assignments, and Syllabus features.
Assignments can also be organized in Modules.
When would I use Assignments?
Assignments can be used to:
- Assess how well students are achieving course Outcomes
- Set up online submissions that can be quickly graded in the SpeedGrader
- Grade online as well as student work submitted "on-paper"
- Create differentiated assignments for sections
- Set up peer reviews
- Grade Discussions, either by the whole class or student groups
- Open Quizzes for a limited amount of time
- Record attendance
- Create ungraded activities that align with course Outcomes
- Assess submissions with moderated grading and multiple reviewers
Any assignment created by an instructor in the Assignments page will automatically show up in the Grades, Calendar, and Syllabus features.
To access an assignment, click the name of the assignment.